Self supported day 2 - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2019

Self supported day 2

Castles, coats of arms, forests, dikes

Tip of the day: If you bring a camera bring one with WiFi so you can easily upload them to your phone or tablet.

Today was a beautiful sunny day! This morning we were greeted by the call of the cuckoo bird in the forest as we rode past farm lands. A German proverb says that when you hear the first cuckoo bird in the spring if you have money in your pocket you will have money all year long. Luckily we all had money in our pockets....

The cuckoo bird serenaded us as we rode past between the field and forest.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Most of the day was spent riding the dikes along the Inn River. Interspersed by pockets of forest with steep climbs. The neatest climb was up a highway through the woods on a designated bike lane with a long 1 to 2% grade. We rode this for about 5 miles to the top followed by a STEEP descent to the level of the river.  Beautiful scenery at the top and at the bottom. The descent was long and steep enough that we had to feather our brakes but even doing this I smelled hot rubber.

Some of the forest we rode through.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mary DuganI would have loved this ride through the woods.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
It’s hard to tell in this picture but this was a steep uphill.... Thinking about ebikes for Salzburg. This is supposed to be the easy part....
Heart 1 Comment 1
Joanna Southerland sI will bring bigger suitcase
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A little taste of the path we rode on top of the dike along the Inn River.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we saw some gorgeous castles. The crowning glory was the castle in Burghausen. It is huge! Clearly built on again and again over the centuries. We happened upon a fabulous view of the castle from the top of the cliff across the river.

At the view point they had set up a frame that you could use on the original part of the Burghausen castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look closely along the top ride of this picture. The castle goes all along the ridge line.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The town wall and houses at Braunau
Heart 0 Comment 0
More at Braunau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old castle next to the power plant....
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stille  Nacht, composed by Frans Xavier Gruber. Frans was born in the little town where we are staying Hochburg Ach. 

The birthplace of Frans Xavier Gruber who composed Stille Nacht
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we saw lots of shrines, many different coats of arms, a knight in shining armor, an amazing church in a tiny town and flower filled well tended graveyards.

Shrine along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our knight in shining armor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amazing Inside of church
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerGorgeous architecture.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Colorful graveyard circling the church
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,428 miles (2,298 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lynn WalkerY’all are having a good time! Trip of a lifetime.

Enjoying the blog and pictures.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Sandy OsteenHow beautiful, love the architecture and the cathedral. Are your legs sore? On to the next adventure!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago