Day 4 - Hardscrabble to Mineral Bottom - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2022

Day 4 - Hardscrabble to Mineral Bottom

This is our last day on the white rim!

We are thankful for the help we got packing up our campsites from our fellow travelers. Getting tired by the last day and some of us felt like we hadn’t hydrated enough and were feeling a little shaky. Water, breakfast and shot blocks took care of it as we started off on our bikes.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Riding along the Green River had notable contrasts with what we rode through earlier. One contrast was the vibrant green foliage next to red cliffs. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This time we could get up close to a grainery instead of trying to spot it from far away. We walked up a rocky path to an ancient grainary where the ancient pueblans stored seeds, tools etc for their farming along the river. The grainary was high up in the rocks so everything didn’t get washed away when the river flooded.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Also saw the remnants of a corral along the trail.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This day we faced tons of sand. Some stretches of sand were at least 6 inches deep and continued for at least 100 meters in multiple locations in the bottoms section. We crossed a creek bed that was narrow but still flowing. While our biking sand skills had improved by then, we still got thrown off course and had to trudge through sand that covered our biking boots. Our bikes became sand plows and left wakes behind us. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
No, our shoes didn’t start out the color of moon dust…..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Up 800 feet of hairpin turns at mineral bottom but this climb was on a road that was much more civilized. Regular vehicles are allowed on it, a little sand and some holes and rocks but nothing like what we were dealing with before. The incline and surface were much more navigable than some of the other awful hills we have encountered. As a matter of fact, those of us on ebikes had a blast riding up the hill, and we almost caught the truck which had gone up ahead. Turbo on the bikes made it a thrill and a half to conquer that hill. Those without ebikes were hot and sweaty but everyone made it up the long trek whether walking or riding or a combination of the two. Two walked the entire climb. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

There were remains of flattened jeeps on the cliff side close to the top. There were competing explanations of how they landed there and no one knew of any deaths associated with the vehicle mishaps. 

At the top seeking shade!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lunch at the top of mineral bottom and then a van ride back to Moab. Pasta salad, salami, salt and vinegar chips, and Oreos.

The guides did a wonderful job of providing delicious food that satisfied everyone’s eating needs. They had a wide variety of food issues to work around from no pork, beef or lamb, to no dairy, to gluten free, they made it work so that everyone could enjoy the food offered.

This group of 13 cyclists with ages ranging from 30 something’s to 70 something’s with an average age likely in the 60s had a wonderful time, worked hard, learned a lot, saw amazing scenery, conquered challenging terrain and had an amazing adventure. Thank you to our two fabulous guides without whom this adventure would never have happened. They were wonderful, knowledgeable, friendly, and they shared their knowledge freely.

Driving back to Moab it was interesting to see the Canyon Lands from above instead of being immersed in it below. After arriving back in Moab it was back to the Big Horn Lodge and the luxury of flush toilets, warm showers, and a dip in the pool. Ahhhhh…..

Next we have a couple nights in Moab and then on to St George for our tour in Bryce and Zion.

Favorites from the trip- 

Vistas

  • The contrast of the green from the foliage along the green river with the red rock cliffs
  • Looking down from the white rim into canyons 
  • Spires that had unique structures and often appeared in clusters along canyon cliffs. 
  • Sun light in the am and pm adding a fiery reflection to the rock surrounding us. 
  • Stars through the night. 
  • Contrasts between layers of white sandstone and red cliffs. 
  • Multiple shades of green in vistas of desert plants. 

Campsites

  • Murphy’s Hogback for the fabulous views across Canyon Land
  • Murphy’s Hogback for the view, calming of the winds about 3am, but also the most frightening due to high winds. 

Favorite Ride section

  • Going down Shafer Trail 
  • Along the Green River and going up from Mineral Bottom at the end of the trip

Food

  • Guacamole and home made chips
  • First dinner of salmon, asparagus, and potatoes 
  • Blueberry compote on pancakes

New skills learned

  • Rolling over rocks or down rocky steps with the 29er and not even worrying about it, just picking what looks like the best line and going forward.
  • Improved sand riding skills
  • How to ride to get max use of battery

Camaraderie

  • The group pitching in to help out wherever needed
  • Campfires were not allowed but sat in a circle in cool little wooden chairs to visit during meals 
  • Shared emails with your participants with offers to send information about other adventures to pursue in the future. 
  • Had a coordinated effort to collect tips for our guides with an artistic rendering of the green river and cliffs with comments from participants. They really appreciated this gesture. 

Lessons learned -

  • Stay back or at the front when a challenging section approaches so you have a clear path, you might need that room when negotiating rocks or sand
  • Pack lighter, you’ll be carrying your camping gear and personal items to your tent pitching spot. 
  • To prepare for trip, ride your bike on the hilliest, roughest, sandiest terrains followed by pushing your bike up, followed by a few repetitions of lifting your bike. 
  • We don’t have anything that can help prepare for fear related to riding on trails that are at high elevations and close to edges of cliffs. A wrong move can send a biker to serious injury.  We were told the sections where it would be most difficult for rescues.

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 493 miles (793 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0