Day 1 - Buffalo to Medina - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2022

Day 1 - Buffalo to Medina

Old neighborhoods of Buffalo, the Niagara river, the beginning of the current Erie Canal, huge locks, ice cream, and the pastoral canal side. 

Day 1 ready to roll for 48 miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The PERFECT first rest stop- a wonderful local ice cream shop. So so many choices, but not a problem- we were able to make a selection. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Marcia just can’t pass up reading all the info posts along the way!!!  This was all about the canal and the locks in Locksport. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Traveled up the Erie Canal in a canal boat going through the locks at Tonawanda. Each lock rose 25 feet for a total of 50 feet, the largest rise on the Erie Canal. The currently used locks on the left and the old flight of 5 locks on the right.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sculpture of canal boat workers from a photo taken on them sitting on these steps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The upside down RR track bridge.  It got much closer as we rose in the locks 50 feet up. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

All this rock was carved and dug out by hand over a 3 year period. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


The Big Bridge.  One of the widest bridge over water.  We got a lot closer to it as the locks moved us up. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Didn’t take long for the water to lower and get us back to our starting level. 

Quite the engineering marvel. 

Suspicious characters loitering in Tonawanda…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Tonawanda the character of the ride changed. We are now following the canal through small towns and farmland.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bridge lifted up to let a boat go through as we rode by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oreos, peanut butter, and banana Yum! Rest stop food!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 395 miles (636 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0