Colorado river - rafting, rapids, riveting, rocks - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

Colorado river - rafting, rapids, riveting, rocks

Heart 0 Comment 0

The river was up with the spring ice melt and running very swiftly.  There were class two, maybe three, rapids and lots of floating in between. The towering walls and rock formations were all encompassing as we traveled a portion of the Colorado river canyon with Moab Adventure center. Tales accompanied many of the rapids and rock formations, some were probably even true. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tips from today - The guides really stressed hydrating well, and sun protection while on the water. Sun screen was to be applied frequently to avoid “melanoman”. Guide humor abounded. The temps today started out in the 50s. We wore layers and layers. Bathing suits, long sleeved shirts, polar fleece pullovers and rain gear including long pants. We stayed warm even while being repeatedly doused as we maneuvered through the rapids while some just wore bathing suits and froze…. In addition, we bought see-through waterproof bags for our phones that we hung around our necks. They worked great and our phones took good pictures right through the plastic, a really good investment. Otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to take pictures on the river.

We were accompanied on this trip by about 50 eighth graders and some parents so there was lots of fun and antics in our 7 boats going down the river. The students splashed joyously into the icy water from the boat and were retrieved into the boat by their friends. The most fun they had was balancing on the prow of the boat while the rest of us spun the boat in the water and they tried to stay on as long as they could before they were flung into the water. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

The trip included a riverside picnic lunch at an upper crust ranch complete with movie set covered wagons and props. We ended the ride at takeout beach clumsily clamoring to catch our balance in the deep sand of the beach as we exited our raft. I’m sure more than one beach goer had a good laugh. What a wonderful setting and a great adventure on the river.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0



Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0