Yay for Folding Bikes! - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2020

Yay for Folding Bikes!

Testing the Bus System

There’s the problem. Stripped thread on the stem quick release.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We brought folding bikes to Taiwan to make it easier to use other transport modes. So far we’ve only put them in a taxi and on trains. Today we tested out the bus system and it was easier than trains.

The only cycling today was an exploratory ride around central Luodong which was fun. 

One small mechanical challenge was that the thread shredded on the quick release bolt on Joe’s Pacific Reach.  This happened when we were reassembling the bikes after unloading them at Luodong Bus Station. The damaged bolt could have been a real problem as the bike would have been unrideable or even unpushable without the steering. 

But we were exceptionally lucky. Within 200 metres of the Luodong bus station, I found a Giant Bikeshop. I showed the owner the damaged bolt, and she gave me a replacement for free. Problem fixed. I like Taiwan. 

Other highlights of today were the beautiful views of the coast, and wandering around the massive Luodong Night Market.

Breakfast stop on the way to the Hualien Bus Station
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for the bus. Bikes folded, bagged and panniers packed in a few minutes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Confortable bus with plenty of luggage space. Very easy to load the bagged bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes and panniers in the bus hold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ground Effect bike bag packs small.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike bag packed. Takes a bit of space in the pannier but it has been worth it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taiwanese bus decor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only us and two other passengers on the bus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exceptionally beautiful coast
Heart 1 Comment 0
More eye catching scenes of the east coat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near Luodong. Island farm houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rice farms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the hotel over Luodong
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night Market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Night Market
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we first arrived at the Night Market, the queue for this young guy’s satés was 20-30 people long. We did a circuit of the market and returned about an hour later.The queue for his food was still as long and he was selling them as fast as he could. The queue was moving but new customers kept joining and waited patiently for their turn.This was in a Night Market where customers had the choice to go to numerous other stalls selling similar food.Amazing how that even in a crowded marketplace with an oversupply of products, someone can cleverly devise a slightly different product which pulls in the customers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The queue. Amazing!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 513 km (319 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0