The Mountains meet The Sea - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

January 10, 2020

The Mountains meet The Sea

Today was one of those superb riding days. For much of the morning we enjoyed the sound of crashing waves and the smell of sea air. Then we climbed up and slightly inland for forested mountain views, accompanied by a few downpours. We also met some other cycle tourers which was pleasant.

The rain, the mountains and sunset have stopped us in a tiny hamlet surrounded by forest about 25 km from the next major town, Hualien, with tourist style accommodation. 

At a family gathering in the village’s main street, we lucked onto an English speaking uni student whose aunt led us through the backstreets and introduced us to a family friend in the village with a spare back room to rent for the night. 

So here we are. It’s a basic, but clean, dry and fairly comfortable room. Joe’s got the bear sheets. I’ve got the blossoms.

Cycle Touring 101: Always have a Plan B, and be willing to accept the kindness of strangers.

There quite a few kilometres of these dedicated bike ways today. It’s reassuring to know cyclists are thought off by planners and infrastructure Is built to cater for cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Group of young ladies from Malaysia cycling to Hualien on hired bikes. They were delayed by a flat tyre. We gave them a 20” tube couldn’t help fix the flat. The wheel had rusted on axle nuts, so they headed into the village to find a spanner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s either a type of fortified liqueur, or where the fishing boats hang out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Japanese school group moving at speed. About thirty of them with a motor scooter martial and a support van.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the police stations on our route are also designated cycling rest stops and cyclist support stations with tools etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No not a space dog. It’s in a motor scooter dog carrier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first tunnel. Not a problem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The electioneering continues. These candidates wanted us to vote for them too. The election is tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such a narrow strip of arable land between the mountain and the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lucille and Tim from France. They’ve been cycling since April and have journeyed across Europe, Central Asia and China to here in Taiwan. They intend to go as far as Indonesia before returning home to work after a years leave.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Tropic of Cancer marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north. The road was very close to the sea for most of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eating local tucker for lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Siesta time. We used a roadside awning to shelter, and to rest, from a sudden, heavy downpour to pass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When it rains, it rains properly. Viewed from a roadside shelter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking south over Half Moon Bay from a cyclist rest point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Misty mountain. Beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village back room accommodation tonight thanks to some local help.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 458 km (284 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0