Coasting - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2020

Coasting

Rolling North

It was a beautiful morning start from Dulan. The ride today was mostly heading  north along coastal Highway 11 with very little traffic, a slight headwind and gentle undulations over a series of headlands separated by beaches and river valleys. Grand views for most of the day, especially in the morning.

Navigation was simple. Keep the high mountains to the left, keep the white-capped Pacific Ocean to the right. We diverted a couple of times off the main road onto local bikeways, which are impressively expensive looking pieces infrastructure with signage, rest areas and marked lanes. They even had signs estimating how many calories riders burn on sections of the path.

We ate lunch in a local roadside stall. Tasty noodle soup for only NT$ 80 for two of us. Then we rolled on for another 25 km or so until rain started to fall.

We called it a day at about 4pm, and with the help of locals found a fairly flash hotel in the small village of Nanzhuhu. It’s tucked away at the back of the village. 

We thought we were heading for a hostel called Grain Educators Home, but we have ended up in a place called the Dawn Resort. It’s not cheap but it’s very clean, new, comfortable with views across the village and very friendly staff whose English is excellent. The location is a bit odd for such a good hotel, but who cares. We are here, showered and comfortable. 

And it has good WiFi. So here are a few pics from today’s pedalling.

The only slight issue is that we just had to ride an extra 11km (return) to the next village for dinner, as where we are staying doesn’t open their restaurant in this quiet time of the year. And there are no shops or eating places open in the village tonight. Not a problem. We’ve done the dinner ride and are back in the hotel.

Our accommodation last night in Dulan. The Pearl Hill Homestay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dawn view from the balcony. Such a treat having ocean views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of these flying overhead from the near-by airbase. Training or aerial patrols? Whatever the reason they are burning up a lot of airtime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical quiet backstreet of the village
Heart 0 Comment 0
Easily understood instructions on our room key
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking right as we ride north
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is an eye catching stretch of coast here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kilometres of beaches
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many road side rest places for cycle tourists
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s a surfing area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seaside rice padis
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of quite a few villages we cycled through today. All small. All very quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the bikeways we diverted on to.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cycle way
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kilometres of massive concrete blocks to reduce coastal erosion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just in case we needed to know how many calories we’d used
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very white church with a roller door
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shopping locally for fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Rocky, rugged beaches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example of a rest spot built especially for cyclists
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tradie’s dog doing an excellent job of guarding the truck
Heart 0 Comment 0
More wild coastline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another facility for cyclists. We were well looked after today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A general election is imminent. The campaign is in full swing. Even Australian cycle tourists are encouraged to vote.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 387 km (240 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0