Tarvisio To Kranjska Gora. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2023

Tarvisio To Kranjska Gora.

CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Heart 0 Comment 0

There's not much to report about today's ride.  It was almost a rest day, really.  But, a spectacular rest day it was.  

Speaking of rest.  I was actually able to sleep in until 5am; a first on this trip so far.  So, that's a step in the right direction.  The rain last night really cooled things off and when I opened the door to the balcony this morning, it was downright chilly.   I checked the weather for Tarvisio, and the weather indicated it was 9 degrees Celsius, but it was sure to warm up quick once the sun burned off the low cloud and began its arcing rise over the mountains.

After indulging at breakfast, and plying ourselves with endless cappuccinos we were off around 8am.  I spent some time cleaning and lubing the chains and then we were off on the Alpe Adria route once again.  It was a beautiful and fresh morning, and we sailed along on excellent smooth tarmac towards the Slovenian border just 8kms away.

The cloud cover is evaporated quickly. Just a stubborn one hanging in the valley below. This shot is looking west towards Tarvisio.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Everything is so green and lush in this region. The greens are just so vibrant.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Again. You can't go wrong with a shack and mountain photo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Alpe Adria looking towards Slovenia. So many cyclists out this Sunday morning.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Go Sue go.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Slovenia border marker.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We chatted with this fellow cycle tourer and took his photo at the border. Turns out we are both following the same route over the next few days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Border selfie.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Here is our place for the night. A great little traditional inn,
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pedestrian zone. Kranjska Gora.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Kranjska Gora is a beautiful little ski town.  The backdrop is jaw dropping with mountains having an Italian Dolomite look and appearance, soaring towards the sky with jagged spires and toothlike ridges.  These types of mountains seem to jut vertically straight out of the Earth, and are quite impressive.  

Since our ride was only 20kms we arrived in KG quite early; too early for check in at our hotel.  They were kind enough to allow us to drop off our bikes and panniers and return a little later.  In the meantime, Sue and I thought a hike would be a great way to pass the time.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed along the Plisnica River, and began to climb the flank of Visoka Pec mountain.  We certainly were not going to the peak, but decided we would turn around when we both felt like we had had enough.  It was a shortish hike with some moderate elevation, and that satisfied us for the day.

Plisnica River.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of the lookouts along the way. We're looking southeast here towards Triglav National Park. Mount Triglav is the highest point in Slovenia at 2,864 m.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Look at that!
Heart 5 Comment 0
We hiked through a mixture of beech, tamarack and a type of fir.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking down towards Kranjska Gora.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Scott AndersonSpectacular!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great hike!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHey Rachel. It was stunning alright. Didn't you both hike up this river a few years ago?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonIt really was!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Some type of violet, I imagine?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraThanks Stewart!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Returning to town over the suspension bridge over the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the end of the hike we sat and cooled off beside Lake Jasna. It was busy with families and people on patios. Everyone enjoying their Sunday.
Heart 4 Comment 0

So.  A great day.  Tomorrow we head to Bled without baggage for a day ride.  The weather is forecast to be variable again.  We're keeping our fingers crossed for Tuesday, though!  This is the Queen's Stage of our tour with a climb over Vrsic Pass at 1,611 m, and the weather forecast does not look promising at all with a 90% chance of thunderstorms.  In fact, we're (I mean Sue) is already being proactive and looking into shuttle services if the weather does not cooperate.  Wish us luck.  Well.  It's time for bed.  Night everyone!

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 152 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGood luck for tomorrow!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachel. I planned our route so we could specifically climb Vrsic Pass. But, I've learned from you guys that you need to be flexible when touring.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago