Maribor to Ptuj. - Summer in Slovenia 2023 - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2023

Maribor to Ptuj.

A short and flat one today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The adjectives that describe today's ride are tranquil and subdued.  We rolled out of Maribor and headed southeast and continued along the Drava cycle route. 

It didn't take us long before we were out of Maribor, and before long we were quickly cycling along through pan flat gravel roads, bookended by kilometers of cornfields, cabbage, squash and radishes for most of the day.  The lofty mountains that we have been riding through over the past week have now been replaced with rolling green grape crops that rise up on the north side of the Drava. The south side of the Drava is mainly flat agricultural land dedicated to other crops.  Although the landscape is not as dramatic as the first week of the trip, it still has its charm.  Today was a short and very peaceful ride that saw more skitterish cats dodging back into corn crops than people.   Too bad we didn't get any kitty cat shots.

Sunflowers and Susanna.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Christy McTaitGreat vista :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful shot!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThanks!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rising vineyards on the north side of the Drava. Here is one spot on our ride where the grape crops also grow along the valley.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Part of the Drava here is diverted and canalled for hydroelectric power. The Drava proper is located to the right of this photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of today's ride was like this. Very peaceful.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once we arrived in Ptuj, we had a couple of hours to get more acquainted with this charming town. So, we wandered around and soon agreed that this was one of the most beautiful towns we've encountered on our journey through Slovenia. Ptuj is said to be one of the oldest settlements in the region, and dates back to Stone Age civilizations.  Over time, it became a more important trading and strategic center. One explanation for this is its geographical location, as it lies along a historical trading route connecting the Black Sea with the Adriatic.  As with all early towns in Europe, it too has a history of changing hands from one conquering empire to another.  

Crossing the Drava and into Ptuj.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The following are photos of a solo wander flitting about town before the rain begins.  Rain is scheduled for late this evening, but is expected to clear up by morning before our ride to Lasko...hopefully.   As I look out the window now, the sky is dark, and a light rain has already begun.

Ptuj.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Wall art. Kavarna Bodi Bar in Ptuj.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kavarna Bodi. Ptuj
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ptuj.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Door art. Ptuj.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Piaggio. Ptuj.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Route up to Ptuj castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
From right to left: Ptuj City Theatre, The Ptuj Clock Tower and St. George's Church. The lord of the castle did not want to pay for his share of the clock, so in a sign of protest, the townspeople installed clocks on only three sides. The side facing the castle is without a clock. Take that aristocracy! But, I'm sure they had their own clocks....some things never change!
Heart 3 Comment 0

So.  It's officially pouring rain outside.  It's so nice to be warm and dry.  But, we're going to have to get out at some point this evening and find a meal for dinner!  A good day.

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 526 km (327 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0