Villandry - 2022 Spring Forward While We Can - CycleBlaze

Villandry

Our seemingly random choice of Savonnieres was informed by the nearby Ch. Villandry. The chateau is nice, as those things go, but it is really the garden and grounds that make it worth the stop. 

Since we are sitting out the latest covid wave and working from wherever Villandry made some kind of sense. On our first visit we bought an annual membership knowing that at least one of us would be here often. It is a quick ride (6km?) from our gite to the garden. 

Over the next three weeks we watched spring go from a nice idea to a full-on bursting of apple blossoms, tulips, and lilacs. Going to Villandry frequently meant we could watch the progress of bud-flower-leaf on thousands of tended plants. Without ever lifting a finger we enjoyed watching the pruning and vine arrangements. The staff of eleven gardeners were steadily at work. 

It was incredibly pleasant to walk or ride to the garden, find a bench and work for awhile then wander around and check on the current state of growth. During the last week a cafe just outside the gates opened up which turned out to be a great reason to linger a bit longer. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tension on the plant to make it grow upwards. I spent an hour looking at all the recent twine training.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Resident planting of each parterre includes edge of a step-over apple, roses, upright apple, box, and then the center is seasonal planting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This season‘s planting is lettuce (8 varieties) and parsley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Belvedere view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
High point above the gardens. Nice forest paths with a view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have another hundred or so and will spare you. Trust us that if you are in the neighborhood it is worth an afternoon. 

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 322 km (200 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Tricia GrahamI think the gardens at Villandry about the most spectacular gardens I have ever visited
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith AdamsIt was at Villandry that a friend of mine commented drily: "If you were a gardener here you'd never have to worry about what you'd spend your day doing, would you? 'I believe today, I shall rake some gravel.' "

Magnificent gardens indeed- thanks for the reminder of a pleasant visit.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
To add my voice to the chorus, Villandry is one of the places I tell anybody visiting near Tours to see. And to see it come alive in the spring must be a joy.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekTo Tricia GrahamI agree! I first visited it 30 years ago and it has been in my mind since then. This was a chance to really absorb it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekTo Keith AdamsRaking gravel must be a specialty skill. I only saw one guy ever doing it.
I hope they put up a display of tools used to maintain the gardens. The range of rakes, pruners, shovels must be incredible.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekTo Keith KleinIt really was like watching a time lapse recording — every day was something new opening up. Also fascinating to see what plants they were pulling out and the size of replacements.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago