Where we are now - 2022 Spring Forward While We Can - CycleBlaze

February 19, 2022

Where we are now

City Living

Living in Munich means every weekend another Schloss, Castle, or Residence as a ride destination.
Heart 4 Comment 0

For the last several months we have been living in Munich. It has been a wonderful respite and a chance to do some work. That was Stage 1 of the grand adventure and, while we bike most weekends (and we will enter some of those), it has been very much of a winter work existence. 

 Now it is time for Stage 2 which is to ride/train around So. Tyrol/No. Italy before returning to Munich for Easter. We have reservations and multi-day bookings for Padua, Bolonga, and Ravenna so far. Very loosely structured because so many things could turn it upside down. 

Among the possible disrupters that we are trying to ignore: Russia, Covid, and visa restrictions. The first we can do nothing about, the second we have taken all available shots (and will take any new ones recommended — we believe in science) and the latter is the biggest possible snag. One of us has a visa until June 30 and the other has applied for a family reunification extension. It’s humbling to be part of a bureaucracy which determines our plans. We are the lucky ones for whom this is completely a lark, not our lives or even livelihood. Others around us, and likely a new wave is coming, are fleeing for their lives. We have contingency plans but hope not to use them. 

On the cheerier side, we have our same lime green Bromptons (one with a Rohloff hub!) which have taken us through parts of Europe before in addition to their usual home stable in Ithaca NY (not Greece nor NYC, as we often have to explain). They are joyful and, while not designed for long-distance touring, do a very nice job of day rides and getting us from A to B. 

Plentiful and cheap — covid tests are everywhere and cost about 2 Euro. We use for work, school, and rare social get-togethers. A charming way to engage with new acquaintances is to state when you had your last negative test.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We won‘t carry as much as this snail, outside of the Deutsches Museum for Transport, but still a whole life will be in our front bags.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonMy mascot! https://flic.kr/p/2mHpS97
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonIt looks like the link doesn't work, but the picture is almost the same as yours...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cabbages of all sorts bigger than your head (or mine). Intimidating to purchase one and contemplate eating it before it goes back to the earth.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another hike, another coffee and cake (apple strudel with vanilla sauce) midway. Above Garmisch, Bergaststätte Sankt Martin.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Graham FinchI want some of that strudel and vanilla sauce! :)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And the weekly schloss destination. Schloss Blutenberg.
Heart 6 Comment 0
January ride along Isar. Trail food should always include plum cake and coffee.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI like your little picnic table there! And your bikes are adorable.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekThanks Andrea! The bikes get lots of looks and some laughs. We are really fine with that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Scott AndersonHey, Zelda! Nice to hear from you again. You should check in on Suzanne and János while you’re in town. They’re just a few miles up the mighty Würm from you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonHow neat to be able to have so much time in Munich and your upcoming tour sounds great! We look forward to reading about it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekThis opportunity took a lot to assemble and it has been worth every bit of insanity. One more week and we head south.

Hope you are recovered now and dreaming about France.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekTo Scott AndersonThat’s a nice idea. And thank you for your journals — they help motivate us. Have a great time in France and beyond.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonHi Zelda! Here you have been in Munich all the while and I didn't know it! I hope you get in touch when you are back, I would love to meet you.
Sorry I didn't see your journal sooner. We now live outside of Munich, in Gauting, but all your pictures show our old hunting grounds that I am so fond of. Hope you have a great time in Italy. I'm looking forward to your journal. You can reach me at suzannegibsonatarcordotde.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Zelda MekTo Suzanne GibsonHi Suzanne!
We will definitely be in touch when we return to Munich for Easter week (14 -22 April). I love it that the snail is your mascot — fitting for a bike tourer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Zelda MekThat would be great! We are going to be in Italy from April 9 - 18, so let's see if we can get together in those remaining days that you are here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago