To Córdoba - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2023

To Córdoba

The bikes stayed indoors for the last two days while we explored the historic center of Sevilla. On our way to the train station this morning we have another opportunity to appreciate how easy it is to ride around the city. Bike paths are continuous and easy to find, and the terrain is flat.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

There's a delightful surprise in the train station - speedramp escalators down to the platform. No need to squish the bikes and gear into a tiny elevator, negotiate stairs, or hang on to the bike on precarious moving steps. We can't go down there until 20 minutes before departure though. It's enough time to bag the bikes, get through security on the platform, and carry the heavy bags to the train, but it would be nice to not be in a rush for a change. 

What an attractive entry to the platform
Heart 3 Comment 0
Checking out the posters for the upcoming Latin Grammys in Sevilla while we wait. There are signs about it on buses and taxis all around town, lots of excitement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down we go, easy peasy
Heart 4 Comment 0
This little cutie is determined to get into Mama's purse.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The train to Cordoba takes less than an hour. We were originally going to cycle here over two days, but they would have been long ones. Instead we'll have more time to see the city and go for a day ride or two.

It's nice and warm in here, in the low 70s. Cordoba is one of Spain's hottest cities in summer. In November it's delightful, and there are nice bike paths.

Riding by Victoria Gardens on the way into the old city from the station
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bumping along the cobblestones near our apartment
Heart 1 Comment 0

After settling in we have a chunk of the afternoon to wander the streets and set off in the direction of the old Jewish quarter, known as the Juderia. In the Middle Ages Cordoba was home to a thriving Jewish community, including brilliant minds like the philosopher Maimonides, writers and poets. The Catholic Monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella, expelled them all in 1492. 

The old defensive walls of Cordoba
Heart 3 Comment 0
The 14th century Almodóvar Gate was an entry point through the old wall into the Juderia.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Narrow streets with whitewashed walls keep things a little cooler in hot weather.
Heart 3 Comment 0

An ancient synagogue, built in 1315, is one of only three in Spain that survived the purge. It escaped destruction because it was converted to a hospital, then to a shoemakers guild. It was rediscovered in the late 19th century. Across the street from the synagogue we visit Casa Sefarad, a small museum in a 14th century Jewish home. Casa Sefarad is devoted to the history and impact of the expulsion of the Jews from Spain and the daily life of the Jewish community before the purge. Not many artifacts survived the expulsion but the museum has interesting displays of written material and offers performances of traditional music.

The walls of the prayer room in the ancient synagogue are covered with beautiful Mudéjar patterns and Hebrew inscriptions.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The gallery upstairs was reserved for women.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the staff members at Casa Safarad offers a short vocal recital of traditional Jewish songs on the patio.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lantern on the patio at Casa de Sefarad
Heart 3 Comment 0
Colorful pots and flowers on Calleja de las Flores, a narrow lane that ends in a small plaza.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Random beautiful things appear as we wander
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's easy to get lost around the winding lanes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Courtyard of a very nice artisan market
Heart 2 Comment 0

Around the corner we walk into a happening - a procession of townspeople carrying elaborate embroidered banners of the Virgin Mary and "Viva La Patrona de Almonte." The beating drums, pipes and bells clanging in the tower of the cathedral make for a loud, festive racket. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Dinner is a treat - a good meal at Patio de la Juderia with a free flamenco show. We've really enjoyed our first look at Cordoba. Excited to see the famed Mezquita-Cathedral tomorrow, and get back on the bike.

She is fierce
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 8
Scott AndersonThe place is still here, 20 years later! Was white gazpacho on the menu? https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/andalucia2004/cordoba/#17506
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jacquie GaudetWe were here in 2021. I can’t remember the menu but I do remember Scott asking about the white gazpacho.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonWow, I remember reading this story but hadn't connected the dots. I don't recall seeing white gazpacho on the menu, in fact I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere. Did they have a flamenco show when you were here?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Jacquie GaudetIt's appalling that 6 days later I can't remember what I had for dinner, just that we were happy with it.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamThere was no flamenco the time I forgot my wallet. I think all that came later. It was there when we returned 15 years later though: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2019/cordoba/#19271_zfn2tvyljfkw51za29mm8sak33i.

No white gazpacho though. A bitter disappointment, after looking forward to it for fifteen years.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonYikes, that looks like an awfully cold ride, exactly four years ago today. We could so easily have been caught up in colder weather, just got lucky. I looked up white gazpacho recipes and am keeping that on the list of things to try on a warm day.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Janice BranhamA meal has to be really exceptional (good or bad) for me to remember it.

My mother used to say I had a “memory like a sieve” and that’s why I take photos and keep a journal on trips.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Janice Branham"It's appalling that 6 days later I can't remember what I had for dinner, just that we were happy with it."

I have to admit that all too often I can't seem to remember what I ate, just six MINUTES later.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

Today's ride: 4 miles (6 km)
Total: 908 miles (1,461 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe were concerned or confused by your mention of bagging the bikes (on the platform?) and also going through security. Was bagging the bikes a requirement of the the type of train you were on? We are thinking about taking our full size ebikes on the train from Malaga to Cordoba. Do you think there will be a problem?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe had to fold up the bikes and put them in zipper bags for all three train hops on Renfe - Bilbao to Barcelona, Sevilla to Cordoba and Cordoba to Madrid. Then for all but the Barcelona trip the bags had to go through security.
The baggage policy for bikes varies by the kind of train. Here's a link to it-
https://www.renfe.com/es/en/viajar/informacion-util/equipajes/bicicletas-y-patines.html
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janice BranhamAh yes, I've been reading the Renfe site, and I rather thought the bike restrictions applied only to high speed and international trains (like in Germany and France). So, they say: "On Media Distancia (Mid-distance) trains, your unfolded bicycle travels in the specific area on board for transportation. Please note that the number of bicycles that can travel on each train is limited (up to three bicycles). When you purchase your train ticket, once you have selected the train, you will see a list of add-ons, from which you can select the ticket for your bicycle. On routes of more than 100 km, this ticket costs 3 euros and on routes of less than 100 km it is free, although you will have to book your space when purchasing the ticket. "

That makes it surprising that you had to fold and bag Sevilla to Cordoba?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHmm, I don't remember seeing an option to add on the bike when I bought the ticket. I do remember the platform attendant asking about the bikes and nodding with approval when I told him we would be folding and bagging the bikes, but there wasn't a detailed conversation about it, that would be beyond my Spanish vocab. If they show you an option to add on the bike, should be fine.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago