To Alozaina - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2023

To Alozaina

Playtime on the Costa del Sol is over. Today we ride into the mountains of Andalucia, on the start of our final two weeks in Spain.  

The route out of Malaga is nice and easy on bike paths that continue for the first five miles. Once we're past the city center the traffic lights at the crossings disappear. Instead, the drivers stop and wait for us every time we get to a crossing. Buses, motorcycles, cars, they all wait for us. It's like magic.

So long Malaga, it's been fun.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It's an easy city to get around on a bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This high-rise stands out from the unremarkable ones around it, with its carvings above the shops, dentil molding and blue trim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
"Standing Figure in Three Modules" by Elena Laveron. Such a voluptuous form.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the college district
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty houses in Los Asperones
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Los Asperones, the suburbs get very trafficky and there's not much to look at for the next 10 miles. The traffic subsides closer to Pizarra and mountains are visible on the horizon. At 20 miles in on a 33 mile day, Pizarra is our lunch stop to fuel up for the climb to Alozaina.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the third try to find a restaurant open for lunch in Pizarra, Bar Cafeteria Tropic is a winner. For paella there's usually a two-person minimum. Here I can get it for one, and there are beef tenderloin medallions for Barry. Everybody's happy. 

The work and the show both start after lunch. We are riding on the edge of the Sierra de las Nieves, a natural park named for the snow that covers its peaks in winter. There's no white stuff yet, but the day is cooling down as we ascend so we stop to layer up.

Handsome bridge over the Rio Guadalhorce
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great views distract us from the work
Heart 1 Comment 0

The  six mile climb is longer by half than the trip up to Alhama de Granada a few days ago and we're both feeling it. Standing up to pedal now and then helps a lot, using the legs in a different way.

Grind grind grind
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Casarabonela, "No Violencia Machista" ... no sexist violence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view above Casarabonela
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short break to appreciate our progress so far into the mountains. I love the way the sun breaks through to illuminate the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the crest, enjoying the early November colors here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Descending to Alozaina
Heart 2 Comment 0
Staying off the brakes as usual, Barry flies ahead toward the village on the hill
Heart 3 Comment 0
Riding into our first Pueblo Blanco, Alozaina
Heart 1 Comment 0
One last ridiculous hill to get up there
Heart 4 Comment 0
The white houses of the town from our hotel window
Heart 2 Comment 0

It did not register that this was one of the white hill towns of Andalucia when I booked a room here. We'll have a better look around  tomorrow. For tonight there are two options for dinner - a pizza joint, and Umami restaurante, an unassuming little place that exceeds our expectations. It's the best meal since the Italian place in Granada that redeemed our evening a week ago.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Grilled lamb with crispy chips and peppers
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lasagna Bolognese, Barry's main
Heart 3 Comment 0

A chilly wind whips around us on the walk back to the hotel. Should be interesting as we move higher into the mountains tomorrow.

Arco Alozaina
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow, you’re there! Have a wonderful two weeks.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today: 33 miles, 2539 feet of ascent

For the tour: 731 miles, 45879 feet of ascent

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 741 miles (1,193 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0