Gibraltar - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

November 1, 2023

Gibraltar

Gibraltar was high on Barry's list of things to see while we're close to it in Spain. I figured it might take another four days to work it into the cycling trip. Or, we could take a round-trip bus tour from Malaga and do it in one. I want to wrap things up before it really starts to get cold here, so today we're getting on the bus. 

We're out before 7 for the walk to the meeting spot on Avenue de Andalucia downtown. A crowd of twenty or so is already waiting and the bus is right on time at 7:15. We join more people on the bus who have boarded from points east, find seats on the sea side and watch the sun rise. 

This is by far the darkest, earliest start to the day since we left home in September.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not bad for a shot through the bus window on my weak phone camera
Heart 4 Comment 0

The bus makes four or five stops to pick up more passengers. Jorge, our guide, points out some sights on the way. In Benalmadena he gets quite excited about the elephants.

Rotonda de los Elefante
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Gibraltar the driver drops us off at Passport Control and picks us up again on the other side to continue into the City Centre, making the entry process easy.

Perhaps I wasn't paying attention on the way because my first full-on sighting of the rock is from the passport line. We cross into the British overseas territory of Gibraltar, the eighth country in our trip. From the centre, the cable car takes us up the rock.

The Rock of Gibraltar
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. That’s such n impressive sight, and great lighting for it. I’d love to see it again.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Looking out on a beautiful morning from the cable car
Heart 2 Comment 0
Second breakfast is a warm, delicious Pain au Chocolat in the cafe at the top of the cable car.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have a couple of hours at the top to explore the nature reserve, enjoy the breathtaking views and watch the antics of the Barbary Macaques that live here.

Across the Bay of Gibraltar to the west is the Port of Algeciras, one of the largest ports in Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosia Bay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barbary Macaques hang out hoping for treats from the tourists. We were warned not to feed them, but the taxi drivers were doing just that.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The little ones are pretty cute the way they drop from the trees and scamper back up
Heart 2 Comment 0
Maybe grooming, or just goofing around
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hanging with the locals
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWow. That’s a calendar shot.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamGreat idea! I think also profile-worthy, better straighten it up first.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

We do a rugged hike up to the highest point on Gibraltar - O'Hara's Gun Battery, at 1,398 feet above sea level. Built in 1890, the battery was named for General Charles O'Hara. He served as Governor of Gibraltar almost a century before, from 1795 to 1802. 

O'Hara had ordered the construction of a watchtower here, believing it could be used to observe enemy Spanish forces in the Port of Cadiz over 50 miles away. This didn't pan out; the distance was too far. After being struck by lightning shortly after it's completion in 1791, the tower lay in ruins for most of the 19th century, and became known as O'Hara's Folly.

At the peak, O'Hara's Gun Battery
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pretty good hike to get there
Heart 4 Comment 0
O'Hara's Battery
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking out from the top at the Mediterranean Sea, and in the far distance, the Atlantic Ocean. The Strait of Gibraltar flows between Africa to the left and Tarifa, Spain, on the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Morocco in the distance
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The walk back down is more challenging than I expected, on steep ramps and long narrow stairways. More macaques are watching us right next to the steps. They are a little close for comfort so I don't take the time to pull out my phone. 

Enjoying the warm sun on the walk down
Heart 3 Comment 0
Vertiginous stairways
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have time for a proper lunch of fish and chips from The Aragon Pub, named for Catherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry VIII. Then we're off to meet the bus back to Malaga. There are more things to see on Gibraltar - a Moorish castle, caves, tunnels but the big show is really the rock. Great day. 

Quick parting shot on the way out
Heart 2 Comment 0
Adios to Jorge, our enjoyable host on the bus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott AndersonThanks for taking us back! The shot of my bike at O’Hara’s Battery is probably my favorite trophy shot ever: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/iberia2013/gibraltar/#3218_1768390_pMiOmn_image
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenThanks for taking us up the Rock. Unfortunately we didn’t up there when we were in Gibraltar last year. Perfect day for it and great photos.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonWoooo! Thanks for putting the link in there. You have some fabulous shots of the apes, the views, the sunset, all of it.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith ClassenThanks Keith! Our luck with the weather has amazed me, consistently nice on the days when it counts.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesDo you remember which tour company you booked with? We do not have time to bike from Malaga, but a day trip might work.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamThe company was called VisitandDo. We got the tickets through GetYourGuide.com, about 60 bucks for the two of us. Totally worth it, saved us what would have been days of biking there that would have meant scratching something else from the list.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago