Taking a breather in Malaga - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2023

Taking a breather in Malaga

A light rain is falling this morning, a good thing with the drought here and just fine for a day off the bike. The agenda is just to catch up -on sleep, laundry, home business and the journal. 

We have a small studio with room for the bikes, a comfortable loveseat, a washing machine and a good writing table. It's well-located and just fine for a couple of days.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat luxury! A washing machine, oh and the other stuff too.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAh, the simple pleasure of clean socks and underwear
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

By 11:30 we've had enough laying about and venture out for a look around. A few blocks away stands the Cathedral of Malaga, the second largest in Andalucía after the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the See in Sevilla.

Awesome just to walk around the Renaissance style cathedral. More space and care has been invested in the lush plantings around it than I recall at other cathedrals we have seen in Spain.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the Alcazaba we spring for the €2.50 admission to the citadel and the Gibralfaro castle on the hill above it. Built beginning in the 11th century during the Islamic Al-Andalou period, the Alcazaba was rebuilt in the 14th century by the Nasrid emir of Granada, who also built the castle. A walled corridor connected the castle, creating a one-two punch of a fortress.

Five gates hindered attackers' attempts to reach the palatial area
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Towers over double-walled fortifications
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bent entrances were another obstacle to invaders
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingAnd cyclists!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Mike AylingFor sure. I'd have to put a foot down on a turn like that.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Lookout from the palatial area
Heart 2 Comment 0
Elaborate decorative arch, the mark of the Nasrid rulers of Granada who controlled Malaga
Heart 2 Comment 0
Handsome tilework in the palatial area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even better
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Below the Alcazaba, a 1st century Roman theater built into the hill has been excavated
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a break for pizza we tackle the steep hill leading up to the Gibralfaro castle. It's just sprinkling now, nice and cool for the walk up. The parents pushing their kids in strollers up this hill have my respect. The visit is plenty of entertainment for the afternoon.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Getting our steps in today
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice views of Malaga and the sea from the castle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsA shame to have the port cranes as background clutter, though. I almost didn't see the cathedral.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Good spot for an ussie
Heart 3 Comment 0

Rain returns in the evening as trick or treaters roam the square. It's a good night for people watching. Gelato and cashews are enough for dinner after the huge pizza we had this afternoon. We have to be up early tomorrow for an excursion to Gibraltar so we'll make it an early night.

Heart 2 Comment 0
View of the square from the balcony
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenHave fun in Gibraltar! We didn’t have enough time to go to the top, so take lots of pictures and we can live vicariously through you. Don’t forget your passports!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Kathleen ClassenYou know, I almost did forget it. Thank goodness I remembered as we were heading for the door.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago