Sástago - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2022

Sástago

Just before we left this morning an enormous peleton of roadies came racing past our digs.  My immediate thought was that they might have left Zaragoza at six which, if that were the case, they had raced down the N-232 in about forty five minutes.

We got going a few minutes later and endured thirty kilometers of the N-232.  It was quite busy but there was a good shoulder and, importantly, no headwind.

At the town of Quinto we stopped to buy some drinks and soon afterwards turned off onto the A-221, a very quiet road, that would take us to Sástago along the banks of the Rio Ebro.  Apart from the few kilometers through Logroño and Zaragoza we have been too far away from the river to enjoy it so it was a real pleasure to be able to cycle alongside it.  The last twenty kilometers were certainly the best we have enjoyed over the last week.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The reason why we are in Sástago is because there was no accommodation on the route we had hoped to take.  The result is that we have probably had a far nicer ride than we would have if we had gone via Pina de Ebro which is the official route of the Camino Catalaña.  Sástago itself is a bit of a dump and the monastery we had hoped to see,a few kilometers out of the village,  is now an upmarket hotel.  None the less, things have probably turned out for the best by coming this way.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 2,491 km (1,547 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0