El Burgo de Ebro - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2022

El Burgo de Ebro

We could only leave about three hours after we should have this morning because the Orange mobile phone store only opened at ten o'clock.  I really should have made an effort to get top up our data SIM there yesterday evening.  

Once I had sorted things out at the Orange store we made the first part of our way out of Zaragoza on a nice cycle path but with about kilometer before the edge of the city it came to an end.  For the next forty minutes we went around in circles, mostly being mislead by Google and locals trying to help out.  In the end we reverted to Komoot that sent us straight down the busy N-232.  Within a few hundred meters a service road appeared alongside the highway and for the next eight kilometers we switched our minds off to the strong headwind and the noise from the highway next to us.  Then we went off on a tangent towards a canal on some nice quiet dirt roads before once again struggling with some weird navigation advice over the last three kilometers to El Burgo de Ebro.

I had phoned ahead to the municipal office in the El Burgo de Ebro to check if their albergue would be available for us because I knew it was pretty small.  It turns out it is tiny with only four beds but the building is so small it is a tight squeeze for even just the two of us.  For the fourth night in a row we have a room to ourselves, although not that much room in which to move.

The municipal albergue in El Burgo de Ebro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Four beds but thankfully there are no other pilgrims here tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leigh got her priorities right after the short but hot ride today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we were supposed to divert onto the Camino Catalán which starts at the monastery at Montserrat and joins up with the Camino del Ebro and Ruta Frances on the way to Santiago but with it being a weekend there is no accommodation available.  So we are taking a detour through the village of Sástago which adds a bit of extra distance but is the only option we have apart from wild camping.  There are no albergues in most of the towns and so we are reliant on hostals along the way to Montserrat.  Campsites all appear to be closed and wild camping in this heat is not viable.  Sástago has a monastery as well so it might turn out to be a worthwhile detour.

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 2,441 km (1,516 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0