Candasnos - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2022

Candasnos

The area around Sástago, in the Ribera Baja del Ebro comarca (county), is also called "Los Meandros del Ebro" meaning "The meanderings of the Ebro".  The river curves in a classic serpentine manner between steep and rocky hillsides.  Once we had climbed out of Sástago we were treated to some lovely views of the village and the river.  The climb continued gently for the first twelve kilometers before we reached a plateau where we rode through dryland wheat fields  with almost no traffic to bother us.

Crossing the Ebro outside Sástago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Part of the way up the hill we had great views of Sástago and the bridge across the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

While we were riding Leigh remarked that the best thing was the nothingness.  And compared to what we have experienced over the past few days, this area really has nothing and we were so lucky to be able to enjoy it.  Apart from a single farmer on his tractor in the wheat fields and the drivers of the handful of cars that passed us we didn't see another human being for thirty kilometers.

Nothing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Except some wheat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More nothing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I'm not certain but these limestone deposits look a bit like travertine as at Pamukkale in Turkey..
Heart 0 Comment 0
More nothing.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On reaching the plateau we entered Los Monegros comarca.  This is one of Spain's driest regions and many of the texts I have read relating to the Camino Catalan refer to it as a desert although I am sure that it doesn't meet that definition in its true sense. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

After thirty kilometers we reached the town of Bujaraloz.  It was only ten thirty in the morning and the wind was blowing from the north west so we carried on to passed the town of Candasnos.  The N-2 had far less traffic than we were expecting and it was an enjoyable ride with the wind on our backs.  We are staying at a hostal called La Cruzanzana where we have forked out for our most expensive room so far in Spain.  It is also one of the worst.  There seems to be no correlation between price and facilities and this is no different to most places in which we have traveled.

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,542 km (1,579 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0