Molins de Rei - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2022

Molins de Rei

We have had a lovely rest at the campsite at Montserrat.  I wish we could have stayed a day longer but we want to pop into Barcelona and then spend a couple of days on the beach south of the city.

Just before sunrise this morning.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Despite being up before the sun has risen, we had to wait until eight o'clock before we could check out of the campsite.  The camp attendant only accepts payment on checkout (I suspect some people end up staying longer than they initially planned) and I needed to exchange the gate key for my passport which he had kept as insurance.

The arrow marks where we camped on the mountainside. It turns out that Welsh friends we met in Patagonia had camped here as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was a ten kilometer descent during which we watched countless cyclists making their Sunday run uphill to Montserrat.  Those that had already turned and were making their way downhill rocketed past us.  We took our time and enjoyed the views.  Maybe there was method in their mad rush downhill because by the time we reached the bottom the temperature must have already been close to thirty degrees (it was thirty three according to the report on my phone about an hour later).

A view not to be ignored.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the funicular railways that go up the mountain. This is the lowest one from the town of Monistrol de Montserrat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just entering Monistrol de Montserrat. A last look ?
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the lovely descent it was an ugly thirty odd kilometers to Molins de Rei on busy roads, much of it through industrial parks.  We knew we were on the right road because it was wall to wall with cyclists going in both directions.  This route seems to be very popular.  Many of the cyclists were friendly and engaging and we had lots of encouraging words and a few short conversations along the way.

The real last look from about thirty kilometers away.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have stopped for the night about fifteen kilometers short of central Barcelona.  Tomorrow morning we plan to cycle in to see La Sagrada Familia and then cycle southwards to a campsite on the coast.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,784 km (1,729 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0