Platja de Gavà - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2022

Platja de Gavà

The ride into Barcelona coincided with rush hour but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Much of it was on cycle lanes which got really busy with electric scooters and ebikes as we got closer to the city.  There were a few bits where the cycle lanes were messed up by road works but on the whole Barcelona is a pretty good cycling city.

Unfortunately, I wasn't that impressed by La Sagrada Familia. Leigh noted that my first words were "It's horrible!" but I think I was overreacting.  It is a lot smaller than I expected - I had thought it might tower over the surrounding buildings but it was somewhat hidden behind trees and fronted by a really ugly series of shipping containers serving as fast food outlets.  Being under construction doesn't help with cranes and scaffolding covering parts of it.

We took a ride to the "real" Cathedral a few kilometers away in the Gothic quarter. A much more classic building in the more usual Gothic style. Strangely enough there were far more tourists here than at La Sagrada Familia.

La Sagrada Familia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tourist shot in front of La Sagrada Familia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the detail was really nice. There were also a few strange things which I haven't yet downloaded from my other camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
La Sagrada Familia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barcelona Cathedral - also surrounded by scaffolding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Streets of the Gothic Quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch stop on the outskirts of Barcelona.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that a rather ugly ride past the airport to Gavà Beach where we are camping for the next two nights.  The Tres Estrellas campsite is large and busy. The tent area is right next to a busy road and the airport is a stone's throw away so it isn't going to be quiet. Nonetheless, it is a change and the two of us have short attention spans.  We are going to relax a bit and start the process of sourcing boxes for the bicycles.


Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,831 km (1,758 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0