Mérida - More Roman Stuff - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2022

Mérida - More Roman Stuff

Another day of ancient Rome in Mérida.  We started off at the so-called Temple of Diana.  One of the many bad names handed out in the past in Mérida because research suggests the temple is not dedicated to the goddess of the hunt but to the emperor and the Roman state.  Interestingly, a millennium and a half or so later the temple was incorporated into the residence of a local knight which ironically seems to have saved many of the pillars.

"Temple of Diana". You can see the knight's residence behind the pillars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then it was a brief stop at the Arco de Trajano.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It seems that the most sights with the most tourists in Mérida are the Roman Theater and Amphitheater and for good reason.

First view of the Theater was of the old public loo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Theater.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amphitheater.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Casa del Anfiteatro is right next to the Amphitheater and was surprisingly good.  It was a large house just outside the city walls, the floors (with some nice mosaics) and parts of the walls remaining.  It was discovered during the preparation of the ground for a new public health clinic (I have no idea where that eventually ended up).

Various fish.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wine harvest.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis would never satisfy current hygiene standards.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonCertainly not with my feet after a day in the saddle.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The last visit was to the Casa del Mitreo. another misnomer because it was eventually decided it was a house of a wealthy citizen.  Once more some great mosaics.

Difficult to see but this is regarded as the best Roman mosaic in Spain. The detail was outstanding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Subterranean bedrooms to escape the summer heat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overview of the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The weather has changed with the temperature dropping by about ten degrees to the mid-teens.  We got pretty cold while out doing tourist stuff today.   The weather will stay this way and get even colder and wetter over the next few days but it should warm up again again next week.  

Tomorrow we head for Alcuéscar, about forty kilometers north of here.  Leigh wanted to go all the way to Cáceres, another forty kays further but strong north winds are predicted for tomorrow.

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 759 km (471 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonIt’s probably off route for the Way, but if it fits in Trujillo is definitely worth the detour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTrujillo is a bit off our route and we have fallen a bit behind on our schedule with all the tourist stuff we have been doing. We need to have left Santiago just after the middle of May so any side trips are going to have to be considered carefully. Right now we just want to make up a bit of time and Leigh has just commented that "we can't go to every pretty little town".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago