Mérida - Roman Stuff - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2022

Mérida - Roman Stuff

Mérida was founded by Ceaser Augustus as Emerita Augusta as a retreat for veteran soldiers in 25 BC but had been populated since prehistoric times.  Our focus today was on the the remains of its Roman occupation although we also experienced some Visigoth and Moorish history as well.

First port of call was the Hippodrome or Circus. Not much left - at one stage it was fields of oats and the Mérida to Madrid highway used to pass through it - but we got a sense of its scale and almost managed to imagine the view the charioteers might have had. The fact that it is surrounded by working class apartments didn't help the visualization.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The first of the aqueducts. This one provided water to a bath house, the excavated remains of which are not visible bottom left of the picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Time for a bit of questionable Visigoth history. This is supposedly the crypt of Santa Eululia under the Basilica dedicated to her, although her martyrdom may also have been effected in Barcelona, not an inconsiderable distance from here. Or perhaps her memory is an amalgam of various early Christian martyrs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Miraculous Aqueduct, so named because much of it is still in very good condition, showing marks of the original construction almost two thousand years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another Roman bridge still in use two thousand years later. We will cross it the day after tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Underneath this modern office block lies an archeological dig showing Roman roads and houses. Quite amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Under the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our final visit was to the  Alcazaba.  The Moors used the stonework from the Roman city wall to construct the walls of the citadel which housed approximately two thousand troops.  Inside its walls various other Roman and Visigoth buildings were repurposed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The fresh water supply was, for me, the highlight of the citadel. These are the first series of steps leading down to a pool into which water filtered from the river through sand and gravel providing a constant supply of potable water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The net series of stairs, angled to allow beasts of burden to be able to use them. Both series of stairs were duplicated implying there was a specified direction of use.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pool, now with goldfish ???!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Roman house found below what would have been ground level inside the citadel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great views across the long Roman bridge we had crossed yesterday.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 754 km (468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0