Alcuéscar - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2022

Alcuéscar

I never thought a short ride could be such hard work.  We woke up to the sound of howling wind and it stuck in our ears for the rest of the day.

The weather report suggested northerly winds of twenty five to forty kilometers an hour all day with the gusts between fifty five and sixty kilometers an hour.  The route was mostly a gentle climbs, ascending four hundred and fifteen meters in total with a net gain of only two hundred and fifty meters but the wind made it feel a lot worse.  We left a bit after ten thirty this morning and only arrived at Alcuéscar after three o'clock.  The first ten kilometers took an hour an a half and it didn't get any better as the day went on.  Thank goodness we didn't have our hearts set on reaching Cáceres today.

We will still have the wind in our faces tomorrow but the forecast is for their speeds to drop by half.

We crossed into a new province today, Cáceres.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are spending the night in a small inn, the Restaurante los Olivos.  Amazingly, the kitchen is open all day until eight thirty tonight.  The usual habit in Spain is for kitchens to close between four in the afternoon and nine at night (most people only eat after ten) so this suits us quite well.

Edit: One of the disadvantages of trusting my rudimentary Spanish is that every now and then I get it wrong.  It appears the kitchen only opens at eight thirty so we are still stuck in standard Spanish time.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 793 km (492 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0