Alcanadre - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2022

Alcanadre

Last night's albergue is only a few meters away from the Camino as it enters town from the direction of Logroño.  It is modern, clean and spacious and I would have thought that it would be a popular stop for pilgrims but it wasn't even half full last night.  The hostalero was a rather unsmiling guy and the restaurant was not operational.  Changing both of those might make it more popular.

The view from our albergue this morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view from our albergue this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our ride started with climb, first on the N-120 and then on the Camino.  From the top it was a lovely descent into Logroño on nice cycle paths through a park surrounding a small lake (the cycle paths through Logroño itself, particularly along the Rio Ebro were also good with one small exception).  This was the end of our time on the Ruta Frances because from Logroño we turn south-eastwards on the Camino del Ebro, the pilgrimage route that follows the Rio Ebro from the coast south of Barcelona to Logroño and joins the Ruta Frances on its way to Santiago.

The cycle path continues on the other side of the arch of the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The cycle path led us out of the city along the Rio Ebro where we linked up with some quiet roads through vineyards and olive groves until Google led us to a military base.  Thankfully we found an overgrown path that led us across a railway line to the rather busy N-232.  This rather busy and uninteresting road took us up a gently climb before we had a nice descent, the last eight kilometers of which were on a quiet country road, to the sleepy town of Alcanadre the end of Stage 16 of the Camino del Ebro.

We're staying in a lovely guesthouse along with a Canadian cyclist and two lady walkers, one French and the other Italian.  Quite different from the albergues we have been staying in lately.  Tomorrow we plan to head to Alfaro where we will probably end up in an albergue again.

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,240 km (1,391 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0