Alfaro - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2022

Alfaro

It was good to be back in relative comfort again last night.  The Casa Azul de Ramon y Asun (the owners of the Blue House) is spacious and well run. It has everything that we needed to catch up with laundry and rest and we made full use of it.   Ramon and Asun run one of the local bars, the Bar La Union which is just around the corner from the guesthouse.  

Time for some goats, just on the outskirts of Alcanadre.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a short climb and a descent to the outskirts of Lodosa we joined a nice road running along the Canal de Lodosa.  All was going swimmingly until we came upon a barrier across the road.  However, there were lots of bicycle tyre tracks bypassing the barrier so, to garble the words of Arlo Guthrie, instead of wiping those out we decided to add ours to them.

The Canal de Lodosa.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leigh approaches another barrier to be disregarded.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of other bicycle tracks going past the barriers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once the road veared away from the canal we joined up with the official route of the Camino del Ebro.  Here we encountered the Italian lady who had spent last night at Casa Azul.  She had covered about fifteen kilometers already and was setting a good pace.

Yellow arrows marking the route of the Camino del Ebro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another name seems to be the Caminos Naturales but there is little of nature to be seen amongst the farmlands (either intensively cultivated or degraded scrub) and the occasional factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our great accommodation last night we are back in a municipal albergue.  This one is a bit different.  It's a standard residential three bedroom home with two bunk beds per room.  The hostalera, Raquel, is a volunteer who will be cooking supper for us and the other two pilgrims staying here tonight, a Catalonian cyclist and and elderly French walker.  We have one of the rooms to ourselves and so have the other two.  It's a nice change from the crowds on the Ruta Frances.

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,289 km (1,421 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0