Meyrueis to Millau - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2023

Meyrueis to Millau

Heads on a Swivel

Heart 0 Comment 0

What a ride. What a day. Another top ten ride and we were both astonished. This area is spectacular for bike touring and we are so glad to have come this way. Thanks Rich for pointing us in this direction. 

We started the day with few expectations. We rolled out of Meyrueis knowing we had a short and primarily downhill ride through the Gorges de la Jonte. Once more the road was so little traveled it was more like a bike lane than a highway. 

We rounded the first curve out of Meyrueis and we couldn’t believe how beautiful it was. I don’t know how to begin to describe it, so here come the pictures. Trust me, they don’t do the scenery justice. Add to the beauty the fact that we were going downhill at that friendly grade that doesn’t require focus or hard braking and we were in cycling nirvana. 

The beauty started immediately.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We weren’t making good time because of all the photography stops
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sometimes we just stopped to literally stare at each other in wonder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Karen PoretTo Brett ClassenLooks like Natural Bridges State Beach has found its match! Agreed on the cool factor!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The rock walls were on both sides of the gorge, which is 450 m deep in places. It was head on a swivel riding and we took our time. We ran into some cave explorers at the side of the road. So many ways to enjoy this area. 

They had just literally crawled out of a hole at the side of the road. I thought they were municipal workers! The entry to the cave was manhole sized, I kid you not.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then, on this almost totally deserted road we came across a line of parked cars, lots of people and a restaurant. That was a complete surprise. The fact that the restaurant patrons were chatting in the middle of the road gives you an excellent idea of how few cars there were. 

Imagine rounding a corner to this!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretThat is MY kind of a traffic stop! People enjoying the day! Awesome!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This is more cars than we saw on the ride to this point. All patrons of the restaurant.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then more spectacular riding. It was gorgeous all the way to Le Rozier

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

After Le Rozier we rode on the opposite side of the river coming into Millau than we did going out. One funny moment happened when I heard a beep beep behind me and it was the Gendarmes flagging me down. Yikes! Turns out my water bottle popped out of the cage on a bump and they were kindly returning it. 

The ride into Millau was lovely, but we didn’t take another picture until we got into town. After the Gorges de la Jonte, I guess we were very, very spoiled. 

So kind of France’s finest.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here is how you learn to do amazing things on a bike. These kids were having a blast launching into this foam pit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We seriously considered doing this as our afternoon’s entertainment. One of these years.
Heart 1 Comment 0

What a day, and more adventures tomorrow. We are so very, very fortunate. 

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,043 km (648 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rich FrasierAgain, I'm so, so glad you're enjoying this ride!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
David MathersThat is cycle touring at its finest 👍 Wish we were there!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo David MathersIt was beyond amazing. And for me anyway, that element of surprise. I thought it would be nice, but over the top eye popping stunning?? Never dreamt it but it was.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rich FrasierWe are LOVING it.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Karen PoretToo fun! The colors of everything is just stunning!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago