Girona to Begur - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2023

Girona to Begur

Up and Down and Up

Heart 0 Comment 0


What a day!   Fantastic in every way. Great cycling, beautiful vistas, and an atmospheric hilltop village to end the day. 

We left Girona and the CN navigated us out of the city with aplomb. The goal was the El Angels climb. I was very excited about it, and it was everything I hoped for and more. But first came a slight deviation in the program. Keith had stopped to look around and I asked him if we were headed to El Angels on the same track we came in to Girona on. Nope was the reply. I have a great deal of faith in the CN so I didn’t question him but thought it odd things looked so familiar. Eerily familiar . In fact after another ten minutes or so I decided that Girona was building an identical alternate universe parallel to the one we came in on, or the CN may have made an error. Just then he came to a quick halt and said a bad word. He had missed the turn to El Angels and we had gone 5 km out of our way. 

I always find this sort of thing somewhat hilarious. I am never fussed about it…I mean what can you do?   But the CN. Oh boy, he gets really annoyed with himself no matter how hard I reassure him it is going to happen, even to the best of navigators. So we cycled the 5 km back, thus really warming up our legs nicely for the climb. 

The immaculate bike room. Bike wash, tools, pump. We checked our tire pressures and were on our way.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Getting set to leave the hotel. Keith wore his Stelvio jersey for climbing karma.
Heart 4 Comment 1
David MathersNice jersey Keith 👍
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

The climb was fantastic. Part way up I told Keith I must be weird to enjoy it so much and he assured me I was. Thank you dear. It was just great though. More bikes than cars by a long shot, very manageable grade and super views from the top. We stopped there for a picnic lunch. The CN asked for the SPF lip balm, and we couldn’t find it anywhere obvious. I convinced him to use my (expensive) lipstick. I mean, who was going to see him so what did it matter?   It would have the same protective effect. OMG. The man smeared lipstick on and around his lips. I guess my sell that it was a very natural colour was a bit too good. Clown lips. I about died laughing. I also have photographs but am not allowed to post them!!

A sad reminder of the vulnerability of a cyclist.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View back to Girona.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The road was a brand new surface all the way to the top. It was like riding on butter.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Going down.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look at that surface.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had perfect weather too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bike on the right looks faster. There were virtually no cars, and very few motorcycles on the climb.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch view.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our personal picnic spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A cyclist and an angel.
Heart 5 Comment 0


Then it was a swoop down and scenic riding through so many beautiful little towns. We did have one more navigation issue.  Komoot sent us off on a wild goose chase and we ended up in a farmer’s field. As Tricia Graham said, Komoot does have a strange sense of humour. The CN quickly rerouted us back onto the very quiet highway. 

The towns through here are gorgeous.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This bike route was beside the almost deserted highway. The surface was good but we bailed after about 200 meters because the highway was better.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This surface wasn’t our favourite. Very atmospheric and all but depending on gender an adjust your bra straps or consider a jock strap kind of a ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0
It was pretty though.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then came the climb into Begur. We had been warned. It is a hilltop town after all. We both found it a grind. It was very busy with traffic. Incredibly respectful traffic, and we had a wide shoulder but it wears on you. There was a huge gravel operation about two thirds of the way up, and so there were trucks too. The town is gorgeous though, so it was worthwhile. 

First order of business was a gelato.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The street our hotel is on.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view out our hotel window.
Heart 4 Comment 0

After checking in and showers we walked up to see the views from the castle. Absolutely spectacular. Then it was dinner followed by a wander around the old town. It is a very special place. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nothing like a good hike up a hill after a day of cycling.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Stunning views.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Back in town for dinner and an explore.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

Keith started the Relive late. Here is what we have:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vZqNLz2Z7GO

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 250 km (155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersWow, what a great day. Well done climbing Els Angels and on loaded touring bikes too👍
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo David MathersIt was a great day. The hardest part was the 5 km climb into Begur. Nice town but don’t know why they placed it on top of a hill. From the lookout from El Angels I noticed these 2 distinctive hills rising up from the valley. Little did I know that’s where we were heading.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago