Carcassonne - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2023

Carcassonne

Medieval Village

We opted for the somewhat expensive hotel breakfast this morning and had no regrets. We both really enjoy lingering over multiple cappuccinos in the morning and discussing our plans for the day. Today we also talked about what an amazing day yesterday was. 

Once fully caffeinated we headed in opposite directions. Keith to the bike shop and me to the old town and it’s array of shopping possibilities. We both had successful forays. I found my favourite skin cream as my travel size had run out. I was delighted. Keith has all his gears available to him again and found the people at the shop helpful and fun. They fixed his derailleur in five minutes, no charge. When I saw the pictures of the bike shop I had some regrets that I hadn’t ridden over with him. 


The great guy who tuned Keith’s bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was lots here for me to look at. Perhaps I should have gone.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was on to the main event. The Chateau and Remparts de Carcassonne. We had done some reading but were still astonished at the size and scale. We did the audio guide tour and it was excellent. Too much information for my aging brain to retain but it did really help us understand what we were seeing.  The completely walled fortress is the largest in all of Europe. It is one of the most visited sites in France. 

Views on the walk over.
Heart 3 Comment 0
What a view. I kind of got in the way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the street approaching the Chateau.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I loved these windows.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The place is massive.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Peter SpurrWe stayed somewhere in that little village just outside the castle. It was awesome to wander around the castle at night, with minimal other people around.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Peter SpurrHi Peter - nice to hear from you. We were lucky … it wasn’t too busy when we viewed the castle. Remember you telling me the Canal de Midi was pretty rough in places. We cycled some of it but mostly skirted it on the adjacent roads.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Going in.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It was noon. There was one person selling tickets and a rapidly growing line up. I assume everyone else who worked there was off enjoying lunch. This was hard for Keith to comprehend, but I told him to give it the Gallic shrug and relax. He did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I found it quite funny.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was originally a drawbridge.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views around from the ramparts were worth the price of admission alone.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The audio tour was excellent. Way more information than it was possible to retain, but it really helped bring the history of the place alive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The double ramparts are almost 3 kilometres long and comprise 52 towers overlooking the Aude Valley. I had to look that up, trust me, I didn’t remember it from the audio tour.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We would absolutely love to attend a concert here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that, a much needed bite to eat in an open air cafe. Then we explored the medieval village surrounding the Chateau. The village was a real surprise when we first entered. For some reason we both thought it would be an ancient but empty village and we hadn’t realized it would be packed with tourist shops and teeming with tourists. This is definitely low season as the crowds were very manageable, especially compared to pictures we saw online. We happily joined the throng and admired the architecture. The whole experience was fabulous. Friendly people, stunning vistas, kitschy shops (plastic swords anyone?) and a wonderful day. 

The expected narrow cobblestone streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deliciousness everywhere to trap unwary tourists with a sweet tooth. That would be us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I loved these chocolate covered almonds that looked like olives. These pictures are a bit out of focus. I think the Chief Photographer was dazzled by all that sugar in the vicinity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a great deal of fun. Evidently 50 people live in apartments above the businesses within the walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmmmm. Pictures seem to be very food focused.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We walked back down to the hotel for a break from all the touristing, and then one of the highlights of the day (just kidding) we hit the laundromat. Clean clothes. What a great thing. 

I would have figured it out eventually I am sure but this lovely young woman took me under her wing and walked me through the process. It was so kind of her.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Keith was out scouting dinner possibilities while I supervised the washing machine and dryer. He came back with these pictures from his walk. Anyone see a theme here?

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraI think I see a theme....
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Then dinner and an early night. We have a short ride tomorrow and have something exciting planned for the end of the day. 

Oh, and those 5 km?  All Keith to and from the bike shop. 

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 569 km (353 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Janice BranhamThis looks amazing. We're excited to see the massive castle ourselves in a few days. Thanks for the preview!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago