Barcelona to Tossa de Mar - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2023

Barcelona to Tossa de Mar

Beautiful and Busy Coast

Heart 0 Comment 0


Following the advice of those who have gone before we did not try to cycle out of Barcelona. We followed in the pedal strokes of the Maher-Weary’s (and for the most part their gps track) and we hopped on the train at the Arc de Triomf and started cycling in Blanes. 

First though, the good news. We woke up before the alarm so I think we are now finally firmly in this time zone. We had packed and organized last night and that meant an easy exit from the hotel. The hotel, once we were over our surprise at the size of the room was just fine. Just not suitable for storing bicycles.

Our bed. Why do I always make it so the cleaning staff can strip it? It is a habit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sink and storage just inside the door, along with one bike. The other we could just squeeze on the balcony.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat is a tight squeeze for bicycles!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Toilet and shower. I could wiggle my way by, but Keith had to step in the shower to close the bathroom door.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then came the next part of the adventure. First a fruitless trip to Trek bikes to check our tire pressure. They were closed. Then the train station and we arrived with perfect timing for the 10:33 train. Tickets in hand, and then safely saved so we could get out the other end, we were on the hotbox of a platform ready to go. The train swooped in, in a quick hurry, the train swooped out, and we weren’t on it. We were still running for the bike car when it left. Fortunately we weren’t too fussed as the next one was in a half hour. That was when a passerby told us we were at the wrong station!   We weren’t of course, but thank goodness for the reconnaissance the day before so we could be confident of that. Next train we had a better idea of where the bike car was and we pounced. It was great as it was roll on, roll off, so no lifting required. 


Bikes and trains. Not always as straightforward as one would like.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Blanes and were confronted with one of those too small elevators again. Not nearly as extreme as the hotel elevator but Keith’s bicycle wouldn’t quite fit and that is how we met Maria. One of those wonderful encounters that make travel so enriching. She and her partner were so helpful with the silly elevator (for the record, my bike fit, thank goodness) and then while we were exchanging stories and having the BEST time we learned they were on their day off from running a Barcelona tour company. Biking and sailing, two things we absolutely love. We are going to try to make it work so we can do a tour with them on our return to Barcelona. In case you are so inclined, here is the website.  https://toursbarcelona.es/?fbclid=PAAaavTUD8wooCpPovc1xk-LmGXuFhKwuahOcXYQdbyCAXv1m8h-0kxYvbEQA


Beautiful Maria. You won’t go wrong with a tour she is organizing.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We still weren’t on our way. Lunch was very much on both our minds and we found a great beachfront spot in Blanes to enjoy the view and some sustenance before we really got started. Good thing we had a short day planned!

The beach at Blanes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch was to the left.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike resting while we were eating.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving town. We had a bike lane for a bit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some traffic, but a great shoulder and comfortable riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It felt so good to be on the bikes. Truth be told, we both felt happy to be out of Barcelona. We loved it, but it is a big, busy city and we were ready for something different. The ride was tremendous. There was certainly traffic but we had a generous shoulder and the drivers were respectful. Every single one. After Lloret de Mar the number of cars really dwindled. 

A view from the ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another one.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Tossa and oh my!   We have a new favourite place in Spain. It is just stunning. We walked up to explore the castle, and the cherry on the cake was a video call from our son, so we could share the amazing scenery with him. We wandered around the narrow pedestrianized streets and had pizza by the water and gelato as a chaser (Keith had two hehe). It has been a fantastic day. It feels so good to be outside and cycling. 

Tossa is absolutely fantastic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ava Gardner starred in “Pandora and the Flying Dutchman” here in 1950. When the movie came out it put Tossa de Mar in the spotlight. Keith is still talking to our son Brett here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views from the castle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is so very beautiful here.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Janice BranhamStunning photo
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dinner of course. Not gourmet but delicious all the same.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We toasted a very successful day of riding and ending it in a beautiful spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It is supposed to rain tomorrow morning.  That is a surprise to both of us. They are forecasting 16 mm of rain which is quite a bit. We will discuss what to do over breakfast.  I certainly won’t be unhappy to spend another night in my new favourite town in Spain if we decide that is best although we are both really looking forward to tomorrow’s cycle. 

Here is today’s Relive:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vXOnx9p2m5q

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 35 km (22 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Kathleen and Keith
Thanks for the shout out, I hope we don't lead you astray! Isn't Tossa fabulous! After the adrenaline rush of catching the train out of Barcelona and the hilly ride to Tossa, it is an amazing spot to land at. Enjoy the Costa Brava, we will be enjoying your adventure and reliving this beautiful part of Spain through your travels.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamGlad to see you're past the time zone adjustment and back out on the open road. It looks wonderful there.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo ann and steve maher-wearyWe love it here. Good thing too, because we are spending another night.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Janice BranhamWe are disappointed not to be cycling today. It is pouring here with thunderstorms in the forecast. The good news is that we love it here so we aren’t too bothered. The rain should let up this afternoon if the forecast is to be believed and we have lots to explore.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago