Albi - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2023

Albi

Cathedral, Toulouse-Lautrec, a Wedding and a Race

Keith and I had never heard of Albi prior to this trip. What a city this is. We have had a fabulous day exploring all its wonders. This post is pretty much going to be a story in pictures. Just trust us on one thing. If you are ever in the neighbourhood, come to Albi. 

First up was the Cathedral. Construction began in 1282. It is a bit fortress like on the outside and is seriously huge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
It claims to be the largest brick building in the world. We certainly haven’t seen a bigger one. That is the start of the set up for the marathon in the foreground.
Heart 3 Comment 2
David MathersHey it’s marathon weekend here too!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenOf course. I had forgotten. Happy Thanksgiving to you both. I had forgotten about that too!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
It is a UNESCO world heritage site.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We love gargoyles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The interior is beautifully painted.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ceiling is a wonder.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of blue and gold.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The massive organ.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I gotta hold this up for how long??
Heart 1 Comment 0
Angels we have heard on high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The choir. The size of the space astonished us. I am singing in the foreground. Just kidding. I wouldn’t have dared.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rood screen. New terminology for me. It means choir screen and was incredibly intricate. We did the audio guide tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty gruesome. Detail from The Last Judgement mural.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then came the Toulouse-Lautrec Museum. Only one of us was interested, me, so the CN retired to the hotel for a little route planning and I wandered through the art gallery amazed by the body of Henri’s work. The building that houses the museum was a star as well. 

I didn’t take many pictures. He is most famous for his posters, but he was a prolific artist.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Posters were most lucrative for him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Windows in the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Meeting up again we happened on a wedding. When the bride and groom emerged from the church the bells rang in such an amazing fashion. The joy in the air was palpable. Everyone looked so happy and the bells were such a joyous sound. Weddings are such hopeful occasions. I was very moved by it. 

So much happiness
Heart 3 Comment 0
Best getaway vehicle ever.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We did a walkabout at this point. This is a beautiful place. 

Brick buildings everywhere.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Garden goals.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Tarn.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And finally, the race. It was a team marathon. Six to a team. The start and finish was right in front of the Cathedral. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner while listening to the announcements. When we were walking back to the hotel Keith was a little inattentive to his surroundings while checking the way back on his phone (and ignoring his wife’s voice) and nearly got taken out as he wandered into the race course. It made me laugh. The two runners weren’t impeded but they were moving fast and startled the CN for sure. 

The race started at 8 pM.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lights on the Cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another great day. We are looking forward to what tomorrow will bring. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lyle McLeodWow, we've heard such great accounts of Albi, and yours is one of the most effusive! It was on our original plan this spring, but ended up on the cutting room floor. I guess that means we'll have to come back to this area and check it out soon. Stumble upon's are the greatest aren't they!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenStumble upon’s. I love that. The historical center is a wonderful spot. Our first clue really was the hotelier in Castres telling us that “everyone” has heard of Carcassonne and Albi, but Castres was a surprise to many. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that we had never heard of Albi until planning the Tarn 😂.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago