Green Valley - Arivaca, AZ - South of Tucson - CycleBlaze

December 24, 2018

Green Valley - Arivaca, AZ

I'm definitely sick. I woke up about 4 AM and thought about taking more NyQuil, but was concerned I might not be able to wake up in the morning. There is a Walgreens on our route this morning, I'm going to see what they have in the way of different cold medicine. I don't feel too bad, but I am congested and coughing. Jacinto didn't want a good morning kiss. I don't know why.

Steve and I agreed to meet for breakfast at 7:30. Jacinto was insulted we weren't waiting for him. I wasn't even expecting him to get out of bed. We waited for his personal coffee to brew. Then we all had breakfast together. Conversation was scintillating, as usual. It was difficult to leave the table to get ready. We had asked for rags to clean the bikes. That's typically an evening activity for me. I just had the bike in to have the Rotor cranks serviced (there's a story I need to tell you). I had a full tune up while the bike was in. I think they lubed the chain thoroughly. I was wiping it for a long, long time and the rag was still black. John C. with Recumbent Brothers Cycles taught me years ago to always wipe the chain off after every ride and to keep wiping the chain until no black comes off on the rag. You want the lube in the links, not on the outside where it collects dirt. I wiped and wiped this chain, until I had no clean cloth left. It's still leaving black marks. I have more work for tonight.

I had better put this away so I will be ready. Steve said 9:15 and I had assured him I would be on time, since it's just me. We had dismal internet here. I had to hook the computer to my phone to get it to work. Neither Jacinto or Steve could get internet at all. The desk clerk said they were having problems. We saw the Century Link repair guy there bright and early.

OK - time to pack. It's 43 degrees here and looks to be another great day. It's snowing at home right now. I'm happy to be in sunny Arizona!

We all had a great day. Steve and I rode roughly together all day. Jacinto did a loop north before heading south again. He got an extra ~20 miles over us. We were all happy with the day. It was 73 degrees with little wind all day.

I had us routed on the frontage road on the west side of the interstate because we were going west. I was all along when I got to big ROAD CLOSED signs. What to do? I looked longingly behind me. Steve wasn't close to make a decision. Really there was only one decision to make - cross under the interstate and take the other frontage road. I knew it would cross back again at Amado. It wasn't that hard. Why do I doubt myself? Bertha was on duty today - she didn't like the change in plans and kept dinging at me that I was on the wrong road.

It was no time at all before I arrived at Amado and took the underpass back to Arivaca Road. At the convenience store on the corner, a man in his 20's told me "That looks like lots of work." I don't know if he meant bicycling in general, or riding my recumbent bike.

I had been looking forward to riding Arivaca Road. There is very little on this road on CG. What I did read was favorable. The road took a definite upward turn from the beginning. There was a sign for a border control checkpoint, but they just waved me through. I noticed that the mile markers matched the distance left to town. I like it when that works out, I find it rewarding to count down the miles.

The entire road was rollers. It never gained much elevation, but it was always going up and down. That's Jacinto's favorite road. Me? Not so much. Rollers are a whole lot of work and no elevation gain as a result. I had presumed that once we turned on Arivaca Road that we would lose cell service. I had good service with T-Mobile the entire distance. Jacinto said he listened to live music the entire day.

Steve and I had agreed that we would ride past our lodging and to the bar/cafe to eat a substantial lunch. Then we had leftover burritos to eat for dinner back at the RV Park. I kept telling myself that I would be eating soon, I didn't need to eat. Finally at mile marker 7, I stopped for a photo and decided to eat my turkey leftovers. It had seemed to me that there was quite a bit of traffic on the road and that the cars that were going by were going a bit too fast for the curves. But while I was eating my snack, only a couple of cars went by.

Steve and I agreed that we saw at least ten Border Patrol trucks pass during our time on the road. I noted that they were different trucks because the vehicle number painted on the tail gates were all different. Jacinto said he saw only one truck. Perhaps they were all out at an incident or maybe it was shift change?

I texted Steve that I was at mile marker 7. He answered that he was at 8. I had just finished my food when he rolled up. He was still planning on the cafe, which worked for me. I had looked at the elevation profile and it looked like we would have a downhill into town. Which was unfortunate because we would have to climb back to the RV Park. We stopped at what we thought was Steve's trailer right beside the road. It looked like the right spot, with a pink stripe painted around the vintage trailer. His instructions were to walk in, the door was unlocked. My instructions were to use a lock box, but we had a house. Hmmm, that was something to think about while we ate.

Businesses were quite spread out. We passed a coffee house out in the middle of nowhere, with no other businesses next to it. The sign said they closed at 2 PM and we went by at 2:07 PM. The actual downtown of Arivaca was quite small. A grocery (nice selection with meats and fresh fruit/veggies), an art co-op, and the bar/cafe. It was quite an interesting place with lots of photos on the wall. Steve and I both ordered El Hombre, which we thought would be large. It was an open face burger covered with chili. I asked for no bread and double meat, but I got the same thing Steve did. It didn't seem very large for $12., but I was happy to have it.

We walked over to the store after eating, still somewhat concerned about food supplies. I was sure Jacinto would want to come to town and tried to sweet talk Steve into coming with him. Steve and I were of the same opinion - we had already done the extra six miles round trip and didn't care to do six more. The ride back up the hill wasn't that bad. It wasn't as uphill as I expected it to be. Steve stopped at his trailer and I took the right to the RV Park. We had each carefully entered the appropriate address into our GPS's given to us from the airbnb site. Steve approached his trailer, which should be empty, but he heard a dog barking inside. Just then someone pulled up in the driveway. The lady said that it had been an airbnb rental, but they were now renting it long term . . . hmm - good thing he hadn't walked right in!

In the meanwhile I had ridden the mile down to the RV Park. I should take a right and continue on. Except it didn't look like there was anything down the road. Luckily, I had the owner's phone number to text. She answered right away that I should go into the park and the house was to the back. I found that and then couldn't find the lockbox with the key. More texting and I found the box. I had hardly opened the door and here came Steve. We texted some more to get instructions. It turns out his place was just over from ours, which was nice as we were close together instead of a mile away. He had a small travel trailer that was very clean and quite old.

We had hardly opened the door to Steve's place when here came Jacinto. It was almost dark, so he wasn't interested in going to town. We mourned the fact that we hadn't bought a six pack of beer, but there was a soda machine at the office. 75 cents, a nice deal. Steve had some hard liquor with him and said he would share. We spent the evening drinking brennivin in our living room. Jacinto got side tracked by a strong skunk smell in the kitchen and bedroom area. Then later there was a strange squeaking noise that Jacinto thought was a rat. I don't know what rats sound like. Maybe it was the skunk?

Weather was a topic of interest this evening. A storm is moving in, although it looks like not until evening. But there's a strong wind blowing it in. The wind SHOULD be in our favor, but I hate to count on it. We have a downhill day tomorrow, payback for all of our work today. Downhill with a tailwind would be fabulous. We are leaving early, just in case the wind isn't as friendly as advertised. Steve says the wind forecast in this area is always wrong. In the meanwhile temperatures are supposed to dip down into the 50's for the next week or so. That's still pleasant riding by Colorado standards. Except heading south towards Patagonia (higher elevation) the forecast says snow/wind/cold temperatures. I'm sure the snow will melt right off, but 19 mph wind and 40 degrees doesn't sound like a good mix. I believe we are going to skip Amado and Patagonia. Instead we will spend an extra two days in Tucson, riding the loop and Saguaro Park. Jacinto is interested in riding Mt Lemmon. Then we will head to Benson with Steve. I believe that's the new plan, shaped by the weather forecast.

We've agreed on an 8 AM depart - depending on what we all think in the morning. Jacinto says perhaps he will ride with us. Since we are going downhill, maybe I can keep up!

It is 49 miles to our vehicles in Three Points. Then 21 more miles to the motel. Jacinto originally planned to ride the whole way in, but might not if the conditions aren't friendly.

I hope that skunk smell isn't too strong in the bedroom . . . . we shall find out!

Steve cleans his chain in style. See his nice knee pad?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Longhorn Grill in Amado. I'm not sure they were open. The marque was blank.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Taken from Arivaca Road, looking back down the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were several pretty ranch gates along Arivaca Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You won't see this Santa Claus in Colorado!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wayne would do his research and find out the name of this peak. I just admired it as I bicycled past.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steve caught up with me at mile marker 7.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign was on the door of La Giatana Bar and Cafe in Arivaca.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jacinto logged 54 miles compared to our 38. Steve gave him a high five for arriving before dark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto's Christmas Eve dinner is yesterday's burrito.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve is carrying his own supply of Brennivin ( an Icelandic vodka flavored with caraway seed). He generously shared some with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0