Lodging list.: Winter nights are long and cold, even in Arizona. - South of Tucson - CycleBlaze

Lodging list.: Winter nights are long and cold, even in Arizona.

If you prefer motel lodging, Arizona is a good state to tour. Most of our lodging was in the ~$60. range.

airbnb is a good reference point in many areas. It can have availability where you thought there was none (Arivaca) or have cheaper lodging (Patagonia).

I've recently acquired a Choice Hotel credit card and am trying to rack up points for free rooms. This trip I have two free rooms. This is the reason for my lodging choices favor Quality Inn.

Tucson - Quality Inn Airport - it's not the best part of town, but it is convenient for exiting to the south.

Star Pass Blvd area is a good spot to center as far as riding. It's two blocks to the bike path and very easy to ride up toward Tucson Mountain or down Mission Blvd. There are 5-6 motels right here that are quite cheap. Probably cheaper than the Quality Inn, judging by their prices on the marquees. There's not really any food here, except for the Kettle Buffet and the Waffle House. Across the wash and up a couple of miles is a Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, etc. with an IHOP and a couple of other restaurants. Those are also right on the bike path. Where we are looks a little seedy and run down. Even though the immediate area is not nice, it's a more expensive Quality Inn than the one by the airport.

Out by the airport on Valencia was excellent for food, especially if you like Mexican. It was also good for exiting town to the south and getting to the Julian Wash bike path.

To the east, by Sabino Canyon is the better part of town. There, the Comfort Inn was $109. vs the Quality Inn at Starr Pass being $56. and Quality Inn Airport at $49. Motel prices are like airplane tickets. They change randomly.

The Mariott on Starr Pass Blvd. is running a special right now of $199. a night, it looks like more of a destination type place. Riding from there would be limited by the location. But it does look nice. I bet the have turn down service at night with mints on the pillows.

Three Points - We did not stay here, but if you are interested: Buckelew Farms has a B&B type set up, but a three night minimum. Paca de Paja B&B was reasonably close to town, but more than $100. over the Quality Inn's price. Thus, we decided to drive to the start in Three Points rather than spending the night there.

Green Valley - Comfort Inn

Arivaca - airbnb had a couple of choices. visit arivaca.com listed a couple more. We ended up at the Universal RV Ranch in a cottage. Steve rented a renovated trailer.

Amado - Amado Territory Inn - a splurge, but very nice and they make a custom order breakfast.

Patagonia - airbnb again, a little trailer for cheaper than the only motel in town. Stage Stop Inn. We stayed here last year. It was good, but $$$.

Benson -Quality Inn

Sierra Vista - Quality Inn - we didn't end up staying here because of the snow. We did drive there and sit in the parking lot. It's right in the middle of town (my choice, to be convenient to nicer restaurants). But the cycling would be busy four lane to get there. I think I like last year's choice better, the Rodeway Inn over by the base. Easy to get to on mostly rural roads. Not a good part of town, but I like stress free riding.

Sonoita - Sonoita Inn - $$$ - wine and cheese in the evenings. Great rooms. Strangely, all prepackaged items for breakfast. Not what I would expect given the ambiance and the price. The other choice in town is the Xanadu Ranch, not convenient by bicycle and only $10. cheaper.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0