Mount Melsetter - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

March 21, 2021

Mount Melsetter

The plan for today was to ride to Steynsburg, about ninety kilometers away from Middelburg but last night we changed our minds and decided to break the journey at Mount Melsetter, a guest farm about halfway.  Mount Melsetter is quite well known in cycling circles because they organize supported cycle tours on the back roads of the North Eastern Cape.  We phoned them as early as etiquette would allow this morning and once we got confirmation of a booking, we had a slow start to the day.

There is not a great deal to say about today.  We eventually got going at about eight thirty.  It is just as well we didn't leave any earlier because it was pretty chilly and we had to stop after a few hundred meters to don our jackets and wrap our ears in buffs to keep out the cold.  After that we took it very easily because the guest farm owners were heading for church and it was pointless for us to arrive before they returned.

We had cloudy skies for almost the whole ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the first few kilometers we were treated to a newly laid surface. Sadly, no shoulder of which to speak.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are quite a few horse farms in the area. The dry climate is apparently very suited to horse breeding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break in a culvert.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonVery romantic!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonHa ha ! I was just saying to our host here at Mount Melsetter that culverts are great places for cycle tourists. Safe, out of the wind and dust, and this one even had a low wall on which to sit. Absolute luxury.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The skies started to clear after lunch and the last hour was ridden in pleasant sunshine.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon after our lunch stop, Mike and Candy, the owners of Mount Melsetter, stopped to greet us on their way back from church in Middelburg.  The turnoff to the farm was about another eight kilometers away and we got there soon after one o'clock.  The road itself was rather unexciting.  Pretty flat for most of the time but a cold headwind meant we had to put a bit of effort in the whole way.  All in all, a very relaxed morning when it might have been a long slog to Steynsburg.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 498 km (309 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0