Ann's Villa - The tenth step ... SISA Episode II - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2021

Ann's Villa

It was pretty chilly went we got away from Somerset East at nine o'clock this morning but it soon warmed up and the weather was great for most of the ride.  Today we retraced out steps to Ann's Villa, the historic old hotel at the foot of the Zuurberg so there wasn't much new to see.  None the less, it was mostly a pleasant ride on a so-so gravel road with almost no traffic the entire day.  The one hiccup was me picking up my second puncture for the trip.  Thankfully it happened just as we were stopping for lunch so it did affect us too much.  With seventeen kilometers to go the road changed to tar but the last ten kilometers was an energy sapping climb that wasn't kind to tired bodies.

Leaving Somerset East. The Bosberg (Bush Mountain) above the town was still visible for much of today's ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Throughout this tour we have encountered road kill almost every day. The most common victims are Striped Polecats (Ictonyx striatus) but today we had a number of Scrub Hares (Lepus saxatilis) and this Aardwolf (Proteles cristata) which is essentially a termite eating hyena. They are able to lap up about a quarter of a million termites per night using their long tongue but also prey on insects and their larvae.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Lednar De NallohNever heard of Aardwolfs. You see so many documentaries about lions, elephants etc. that these amazing creatures go under the radar. We have an equivalent animal that eats millions of termites called a Numbat, which are very rare.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomSimilarly, I had never heard of a Numbat. Oz seems to have so many interesting animals, reptiles and birds. Definitely on our todo list once we are allowed into Oz and NZ.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Another harmless creature wiped out by a speeding motorist, this time a Cape Ground Squirrel (Xerus inauris).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eventualy we hit the tar about six kilometers from Bracefield. Leigh is clearly happy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But as we reached Ann's Villa it ended again and we will be on gravel for the next two days.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun slipped behind the mountains in the west as we dragged our weary bodies into Ann's Villa. It's not going to be any easier tomorrow when we tackle the short but really rough section to Zuurberg Mountain Inn.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,112 km (1,312 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0