Hanging out in Taormina - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 15, 2023

Hanging out in Taormina

Rest day!  I wanted to see the Greek Theatre and we wanted to see what the buzz was about in Taormina.  I don’t think I found it. 

In any case, here are a few photos from our morning walkabout. After lunch in a restaurant on the Corso, we picked up some groceries for dinner and breakfast and retired to our apartment to do another load of laundry, sit around in our shorts (pants in the wash), plan tomorrow’s ride, and watch Stage 4 of the Giro di Sicilia on my iPad. Oh yeah, we drank some wine too. 

Etna burped? An odd cloud.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Corsa Umberto (the Corsa) before 10. A few tourists are out, along with the garbage and collection trucks. One of the cleanest if not *the* cleanest streets in Sicily.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the churches on the Corsa, not sure which
Heart 3 Comment 0
But if we look a bit closer above the door, not what I’d expect
Heart 3 Comment 5
Scott AndersonChiesa del Purgatorio, dedicated to all those poor souls trapped in Purgatory.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonChiesa del Purgatorio, dedicated to all those poor souls trapped in Purgatory.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonThat makes sense. Doesn’t make me want to visit, although I remember being taught that babies who died before baptism went to Purgatory, innocent though they were. Born with “original sin” was the reason, I think.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Jacquie GaudetThe non-baptized babies went to Limbo, a place between heaven and hell, but they could never get to heaven.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Susan CarpenterAh, right. I never paid a lot of attention in Catechism and then lost all faith when I learned why Lot was considered such a good guy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And another one just below the cross
Heart 2 Comment 0
Via Teatro Greco
Heart 1 Comment 0
Teatro Greco
Heart 4 Comment 0
We sat here for quite a while, just sitting.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And looking at the view, watching the workers assemble the platforms.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The climb yesterday was from essentially water level to where we are now, up steep switchbacks on the side of that ravine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My arty shot for the day. Empty tables waiting for summer.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Taormina
Heart 5 Comment 0
We could have gone higher, to Castelmola. Very glad we didn’t.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Straits of Messina
Heart 3 Comment 0
A flower in the garden. No idea what it is.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be crown of thorns.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/162839-Euphorbia-milii
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another with a few leaves.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
What the seating must have looked like before restoration.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the stage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spaghetti con le cozze for lunch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonTaormina doesn’t really work for me either - it’s just too overridden with tourists. Great view of the mountain from the amphitheater though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI don’t object to tourists, per se; after all, we are tourists too. It’s the type of tourists that dominate here. I haven’t seen that type much on this trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago