Wait what?!?!? No rain???? - Across the US on Steel and Titanium - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2023

Wait what?!?!? No rain????

Unbelievable!!!!!!  No rain today!!!!  Say it ain’t so!!!!! 
Yep, woke with dark clouds outside my motel window. Siri said rain in ten minutes. Never happened!!!  Crazy. Something’s wrong. 
Had a huge breakfast with Randy and Linda Johnson (which they paid for)  then they met me at my motel (which they paid for) and we headed out onto the Cowboy Trail where we met Diane and Scott. These two are basically on the same route as me headed to DC/Northern Virginia.  After a few miles D&S we’re off and R&L turned back. I was on my own under, (ready?) perfectly clear sky’s. 

In the Town of Wood Lake I met James Hail. Not the Jimmy Hail I went to JMU with, another Jimmy Hail. He told me about some of his adventures, and we discussed the rise and fall of small town USA. He grew up in the house he has been restoring but also has property in Oklahoma and California.  He told me how Woodlake was once a thriving town but fell after the demise of the railroad. 

There Once was a man, James Hail by name.           Grew up in Woodlake back in the day.            He traveled the country from Desert to shore,          But returned to his hometown           That sadly was no more. 

Well there are a few homes standing but many more are long gone including the train station.  Linch was had at Ma’s Cafe just outside of town. Jim was right, the fries were great. Good BLT too. 

From there I stopped at the L Bow Room Saloon in Johnstown, where the movie Pioneer was shot. I had a cold one and some warm conversation with the bar maid. Actually a cold Gatorade. Temps were close to 85 today. But NO RAIN. 

Then off again to Ainsworth where I found a great little park with a swimming pool, electricity, bathrooms, ball fields, showers, a breakfast cafe just feet away, and Diane and Scott. We are both camped out in picnic shelters as it is supposed to rain starting at 2 am and continuing through the day tomorrow.  Lots of activity here as it seems everyone in town hangs out at the park. I don’t blame them. It’s a nice place. 

🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼A little story bout Scott and Diane, Two free spirits crossin the heartland. 🎹🎹🎹🎹🎹

You sang that in your head, didn’t you?  

Randy and Linda sorta
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old Woodlake
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
marilyn swettI had to show this picture to my husband. His grandmother ran the post office and he lived here for a short time when he was a kid.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 2
marilyn swettMy husband's father went to this school. It's so sad to see all of these abandoned buildings.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Timothy DaleTo marilyn swettI agree. The Opera House was caving in on itself and I didn’t have the heart to take a picture.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jimmy Hails house
Heart 1 Comment 0
L Bow Room Saloon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch at Ma’s on Rt 20 Woodlake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,826 miles (2,939 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0