Tree Tunnels to Georgetown - Across the US on Steel and Titanium - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2023

Tree Tunnels to Georgetown

The night was warm while camping last night. Unlike the night at the Bunk House. Bruce and I left the Manson Family Campground around 0745 and stopped in Point of Rocks for a gas station breakfast.  The canal towpath has been graded and packed then covered in stone dust from at least Hancock to the area just up river from Great Falls. It’s a great surface but the vegetation has gotten so thick it is difficult to view the river. I guess the folks running the show want the area to “return to nature” since  there are no mowing signs everywhere.   That’s fine but it just makes the tow path one long boring tree tunnel.  This will not draw folks to the area. Folks want a nice trail with views of the surrounding natural beauty. Personally I’d love to see the entire canal system restored and fully functional. Now that would be something to experience. 

As you get into the area around Great Falls nothing much has been done to the trail. It is still its old gravelly, dusty, rocky self. And as you get into Georgetown the canal and towpath have been totally neglected and “nature” has taken over. Not a pretty sight……but it is natural!  

I met a girl (well young lady, a teacher) on a rented bike who was from England but born in Howard County when her parents worked for some government agency. She was visiting a friend who convinced her to ride the entire GAP/C&O. They were pretty fast considering they don’t usually ride bikes much. 

Lunch was pricey as we sat by the Potomac River in Georgetown with a view of The Watergate Hotel (where Forrest Gump caused all that trouble for Mr. Nixon) and the Kennedy center. It’s noisy there with boats, tons of people, and constant helicopters overhead.  

My original plan was to camp at Swains Lock tonight and put in a long day to Annapolis tomorrow. Bruce talked me into doing it Vic versa and I’m glad. We did 79 miles today and I am staying in Lanham just 25 miles from tomorrow’s motel in Annapolis.  I did my laundry, grabbed a Burger King meal (actually two) and am ready for bed. 

Bruce rides this area all the time so he guided me through DC, over into Arlington Virginia (my 14th state?), and up the Anacostia trail where I jumped into traffic to ride another 4.5 miles to my overnight.  Yes, he actually knew his way around quite well, didn’t need a map (which he can’t read anyway), and didn’t get us lost. 
The Anacostia trail is a National Park following the river by that same name. Lots of green space, recreational facilities, and history here. Along the way we stopped at the Bladdensburg Rowing Club and borrowed their hoses to cleanse our bikes of the towpath dust. Last time I was here they were offering a single free rowing lesson on Saturday mornings. Not sure if they still do but might be worth looking into. 

Anyway, long hot day….it reached 87……culminating in a fight with heavy traffic. But should make my ride into Annapolis tomorrow a breeze. 

Aqueduct
Heart 2 Comment 0
Point of Rocks train station
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great Falls
Heart 2 Comment 0
Whites Ferry still not operational
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of many remaining lock houses
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of several dams used to control canal levels and ferry canal boats
Heart 2 Comment 0
Georgetown canal, a good section
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hike a bike
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch view
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jefferson Memorial
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 3,706 miles (5,964 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0