Scotty, beam me back to Maryland - Across the US on Steel and Titanium - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2023

Scotty, beam me back to Maryland

No need to hurry this morning…..only 25 miles to a motel in Annapolis. I trusted google again and for the first half of the ride it took me along the identical route I used going to Minnesota two years ago. But instead of using 450 for the second half, it took me south on back roads through Crofton and Riva. I thought I had been transported back west……hills with 7.5% grades…….and bison??? 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Actually the area is beautiful and looks a great deal like northern Baltimore county. 

However first I had to get out of the Lanham area and glad I did. Sorry for those who live there, but the place is a dump. I am ashamed of my fellow Marylanders as there is trash and glass everywhere. 

For the most part google kept me off of busy roads but for brief sections I was on Rts 450 and 3 as well as a busy section of Riva road. All the drivers except one were courteous. This one was a stupid woman who passed me on a hill with a blind curve and who got completely in the oncoming lane.  Oncoming traffic luckily stopped or all of us would have been in trouble. Of course I screamed and yelled my usual obscenities (I learned most in the ER) and waved my arm in nasty gestures.  But I don’t think she noticed. She was oblivious. 

Part of the route took me along the Washington Baltimore and Annapolis  Trail. This is a pretty nice trail with only a few rough areas that have tree roots pushing up through asphalt.  It’s worth a look if your in the area. 

Along the trail lies the abandoned Glendale Sanatorium which has not been used since 1982.  there are a number of buildings all in shambles and falling apart. Windows have been broken and graffiti graces many walls. Doors are boarded up and no trespassing signs threaten with severe punishment for those who dare. I was sorely tempted!!! But the vast lawns are mowed and it would be easy to spot someone traipsing the grounds. Still, it would be a blast to snoop around. They say it is haunted and I don’t doubt it. I am sure many atrocities occurred within the walls of those buildings.  I assume the state of Maryland owns this place and what a waste. Why not sell the place and be done with maintaining the grounds? 

I didn’t go into Annapolis proper as the motel is really in Parole. Don’t really feel like getting on the saddle or dealing with the heavy traffic here. My sister and brother in law will be coming down tomorrow to ferry me across to Gods country, the Delmarva Peninsula.  I am done with the noise and filth that is DC and it’s surroundings. 

On the WB&A Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Glendale Sanitorium
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
South River
Heart 2 Comment 0

PS: A little porn for my nurse buddies ……………………………

Drool all you want!!!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 3,731 miles (6,004 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0