Smooth sailing into Jefferson City - Show me MO! - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2020

Smooth sailing into Jefferson City

Boathenge: trailside Americana kitsch

Did I mention I love iron bridges?!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Plenty of views of the Missouri today
Heart 2 Comment 0

First order of business to share: The was no rain today. It was the perfect morning to ride. I left the University Hampton Inn and headed onto the Hickerson Creek Trail. It was a beautiful trail that wound through the edges of the university along Hickerson Creek. In only a few miles, I was back on the MKT Connector Trail headed to the Katy Trail. 

Lunch at the Hartsburg trailhead
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail today was fast. The sandy fine ground limestone had drained overnight into a smooth surface for cycling. There were mostly views of the river and open farmland as we headed to Hartsburg. This section of the trail is remote.  The group's SAG driver picked up our Subway lunch on the way to the Hartsburg trailhead. 

Boathenge on the Missouri
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boathenge, Americana Stonehenge
Heart 3 Comment 0

The highlight of this section of the Katy was Boathenge just past Coopers Landing Campround near Easley. Six boats stuck into the ground in a Missouri interpretation of England's Druid circle at Stonehenge. It is pure American roadside kitsch.  

The Missouri capital building from the bridge over the Missouri
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle switchback up to the Missouri River bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0

Jefferson City and the Missouri capital building came into view across the river. It was a fun climb up the switchbacks on the bridge over the Missouri River into Jefferson City. I rolled downhill and downtown into the Capitol Plaza Hotel. Note that downhill will be uphill tomorrow morning on the return to the Katy. 

Downtown Jefferson City
Heart 2 Comment 0
Missouri State Capital
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of many murals in the capital building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fountain on the Missouri Capital grounds
Heart 1 Comment 0

I explored the capital city in the afternoon. The city is not that large for a state capital. The capital building was quite impressive, much larger and grand than the Ohio capital. I enjoyed a beer in one of the numerous eateries along the main drag. The group headed over to the Prison Brews brewpub for dinner. 

This is the flattest and widest section of the trail I have experienced this week. Tomorrow’s ride takes me to Hermann. The area was established by German immigrants and is home to numerous wineries. It’s looking to be a sunny perfect day to cycle. 

Today' Route

Heart 0 Comment 0

 Follow the tour 

No telegraphs need as we trace Lewis and Clark’s journey into the unexplored. You can just check us out on social media: Cycle Blaze and Instagram with hashtags @tombilcze #showmeMO #katytrail.  

Today's Trivia  

There is a life-size statue of Beetle Bailey as a college student on the University of Missouri campus. Mort Walker, the writer of the Beetle Bailey comic strip, was a student at the University and started the comic strip there with Beetle as a college student. 

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 148 miles (238 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0