Heading up and east on the Katy - Show me MO! - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2020

Heading up and east on the Katy

Pedaling uphill through farmland in western Missouri

Loaded and headed west from St. Charles
Heart 0 Comment 0

The troops loaded the U-Haul with their bikes and luggage with an early wake-up call. With the SAG van and U-Haul loaded, we headed over to First Watch, a very short walk, for a tour breakfast. We were on I-70 west heed to Clinton before 9:00 a.m. 

Katy Trail, Clinton Trailhead (having fun)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Katy Trail, Clinton Trailhead
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was lunch when we pulled into Clinton. Knowing that lunch options would be limited on the tour route, we opted for a fast-food lunch in Clinton. The next order of business was to unload the van and U-Haul. Bicycles were outfitted for the day of cycling. The SAG van was setup. I am the driver for the first segment to Windsor  

Good shade heading to Sedalia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some open country heading to Sedalia
Heart 0 Comment 0

My drive to Windsor was quick and uneventful. I arrived in Windsor with plenty of time to share. I iced the drink cooler and explored the trailhead. I set my bike up for touring and headed west to meet the group as they pedaled into Windsor. I join them for their three-mile ride into Windsor. 

Sedalia Depot
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the coolest pieces of railroad art
Heart 1 Comment 0
My bike at the Sedalia Depot
Heart 2 Comment 0

A quick break and SAG exchange had us heading east to Sedalia, a 20-mile ride. The scenery today was a mix of shade and open farmland. It was very reminiscent of a ride on Ohio rail-trails. At times, it very much resembled the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath trail. 

It was a day of elevation gain. I could feel it in my pedaling. There were some downhill benefits. Being a rail trail, the grade is less than 2%. It was very rural for the days ride passing through one small community. 

Sedalia is my home for the night. It is quite a nice trail town. I cycled past the Missouri State Fairgrounds on as I arrived. It is quite an impressive fairground, nicely manicured. The Sedalia Depot is an impressive building and artifact oof the railroad glory days. The town has done a nice job of restoring it and making the grounds bicycle tourist friendly with railroad inspire art. 

Hotel Bothwell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mu super comfortable room
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grand lobby at Hotel Bothwell
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cycle to Hotel Bothwell in the center of the Sedalia downtown was an easy cycle of maybe 6 blocks. The hotel is a beautiful hotel that echoes the days gone by. My room was obviously renovated. It had many modern amenities including a charging station, Keurig, and a soft bed with fluffy high-quality linens. 

Bike rack art in front of the Sedalia courthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joining the wall of fame in Sedalia
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice amenity at Hotel Bothwell
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dinner tonight was a one-block walk to Fitters 5th Street Pub. It is a family friendly typical sports bar. The menu was varied from salads, wraps and sandwiches to dinners and an expensive craft beer on tap list. The night ended with a stroll through the quiet Sunday night downtown. Tomorrow I am headed to Boonville with a forecast of rain. It looks to be our wet day on the bike. 

Today’s Route 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Follow the tour 

No telegraphs need as we trace Lewis and Clark’s journey into the unexplored. You can just check us out on social media: Cycle Blaze and Instagram with hashtags @tombilcze #showmeMO #katytrail.  

Today's Trivia  

Clinton, Missouri was known as “The Baby Chick Capital of the World” because of the chicken hatchery industry that was established there as a result of the railroad access.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 38 miles (61 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0