Heading to the show me state - Show me MO! - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2020

Heading to the show me state

Flat country, U-Haul, BBQ, and a lottery

Ameristar Casino in St. Charles along the Katy Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

Clinton, Missouri sits 685 miles west of Mount Vernon, Ohio. Clinton is the western terminus of the Katy Trail. My Katy tour travels east from Clinton to St. Charles. Today was the day to travel 473 miles to St. Charles where my fellow bicycle tourist cars will remain for the week. My rental van will become our SAG and luggage transport vehicle for the tour. 

Today was a logistics day. A 15’ U-Haul truck was picked up in nearby St. Peters to serve as the transport vehicle for the outfitted bicycles and luggage trip west to Clinton tomorrow morning. Tonight’s accommodations are at the Tru by Hilton at the Streets of St. Charles along the Katy Trail near the Ameirstar Casino. 

Our transport vehicles to western Missouri tomorrow morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

U-Haul pickup was fast considering it is the last Saturday of the month and at college move-in time. Our group walked in Historic St. Charles along the Katy for dinner at Hendricks Barbeque. Hendricks would make a wonderful end-of-tour celebration location for an eastbound tour. It sits along the trail with a two-story deck. The food was quite good. 

The group headed over to the Ameristar Casino. No money was sacrificed to the two-armed bandits. The evening ended with a start of tour meeting and SAG schedule lottery. Each of the bicycle tourists share SAG duties. The days are divided into two  segments with an exchange midway. Shared SAG duties allow all tour members to cycle each day. 

First view of the Katy Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

Follow the tour 

No telegraphs need as we trace Lewis and Clark’s journey into the uncharted. You can just check us out on social media: Cycle Blaze and Instagram with hashtags @tombilcze #showmeMO #katytrail.  

Today's Trivia  

St. Charles was Missouri’s first state capital. When Missouri was granted statehood in 1821, the legislature decided to build a "City of Jefferson" to serve as the state capital, in the center of the state. Since this land was undeveloped at the time, a temporary capital was needed. St. Charles beat eight other cities in a competition to house the temporary capital. The Missouri government continued to meet there until Jefferson City was ready in 1826. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0