Across country to Wurzburg - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2019 to July 8, 2019

Across country to Wurzburg

A room with a view of Wurzburg and the Main River

After a very hot day of riding yesterday we were happy to stop  here in Bergrheinfeld.  As luck with have it, we pulled off the route to explore this village and  Gasthof Weisses Ross was the first thing we saw.  It was overpriced, but humidity had taken its toll and we were well situated when the weather turned. A good decision as the Gasthof provides  good bike storage, a large comfortable room and includes a full buffet breakfast in this family run place. 

We were greeted with a rainy morning, but it seems like it will clear. And with only 51 km to go to Wurzburg, we are motivated.

Our Gasthof for the night. We enjoy staying in traditional guesthouses like this with breakfast in the cosy dining room. Our bedroom is on the second floor to the left of the religious statue.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now, this is a delightful surprise. The distance on the Main Radweg to Wurzburg is 80+km, but if we follow this local overland route, it is only 51 km. Guess which route we will choose?!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed out overland hoping that the signage would be good. It was pretty good and we had the GPS to keep us going in the right direction when we needed the help. The route was really lovely, cutting across the countryside with many villages along the way.  It turns out that there were multiple routes through this area. A good ride.

We rode by a girl’s net ball tournament in this village. Several games were being played as we watched.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are really enjoying the route today. At times we are on secondary roads, but much of it is like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view of the quality of cycling that we are enjoying today. It is very quiet with locals and families out for a ride. We imagine that the well known Main Radweg along the River attracts more travellers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching another village. It continues to be a hot, sultry day which makes it challenging as Mary Ellen is struggling feeling unwell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great shot Barry of the emerging thistle bloom.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A monastery in the countryside on the way to Wurzburg. The style of architecture is typical for this area
Heart 1 Comment 0
Religious statues are a common sight in the villages and countryside here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cabbage as far as you can see and it is ready for harvest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Couldn’t resist one more shot of the type of riding we are enjoying today. This is a reminder to ourselves to take detours more often.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Fire Halls often have a mural on the wall. The originality of this one caught our eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now, isn’t this appropriate? As tandem riders, we really like that this portion of the ride is depicted by 2 fish riding a tandem.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We have made it back to the Main River, Wurzburg and the familiar vineyards on the hillside by the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Since it is July and the height of the tourist season, we did some research to find our best and affordable option for a hotel as we would like to stay here a few days. The Ibis was great value and the bonus is that it is directly on the river with a great view from our room. Also, Ibis had created bike storage in their lobby with lockable racks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We sat by this art installation in the centre of Wurzburg while researching a place to stay. It took us a while to be able to see the two images that the artist has created. If you look carefully you can see the words love and hate interwoven. As in this sculpture, we are encouraged to allow love to override hate.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,423 km (2,126 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0