Eltmann to Bergrheinfeld - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2019

Eltmann to Bergrheinfeld

We had an odd stay at Pension Maintal. Our room was quite comfortable but they have a strange perspective about the process of checking in. We had arranged a time for our arrival, but no one was there. It finally got worked out, but the next few hours we were in an awkward position of trying to help other travellers who were frustrated at the lack of staff on duty who  wanted a room or had a reservation and needed a key. We finally stopped answering the knocking  on our door as we got tired of people being angry with us.  Until they sort out their staffing and organize a functional system, we couldn’t recommend Pension Maintal.

For some reason, the owners think that “Hotel Garni” means no staff onsite. Very strange.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This is a familiar scene. It doesn’t take long for Barry and Seavo to draw a crowd of interested locals.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nonetheless, Pension Maintal has a great location with a Metzergei alongside and a Gasthof serving great food and local beer across the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A waterskiing event is taking place at Eltmann on the Main River the next few days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is always interesting to ride along one of the great rivers of Europe and keep pace with one of the many River Boats carrying tourists on a cruise.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Insect Hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0
For us, there is nothing better than finding a combination Metzgerei/Backerei (butcher/bakery) in a village when it is time for lunch. Reasonably priced, house made food makes these places a hub in the community. We loved the historic photo of this bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such lovely detail in this statue of a baker in the village.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is going to be a hot day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked seeing these antique tools.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lovely village where we stopped for a break. It is hot and humid today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry on a ride about while I checked out the village and took some photos.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We found this amazing bike store in an unexpected spot by a grocery store in a remote location. We feel so lucky as one of the mechanics uses the same hydraulic brakes on his bike and he quickly and efficiently changed the pads and tweaked our brakes. Thanks!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this is where all of the luscious corn goes that we ride by. It will be processed for feed for cattle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is such a hot, humid and sultry day. This ice cream truck has passed us a few times and we have finally given in to temptation.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have found a long established Brauerei Gasthof and we will be stopping for the day. It is hot, humid and a storm is on the way. The church is across the road from our Gasthof in the village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have carried these special beer from Bamberg in a small soft side cooler we carry. We will enjoy them with a cold supper in our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gasthof where we are staying.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Several generations of this family have run this Gasthof and the same generation of villagers have supported it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 3,366 km (2,090 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0