A couple of days in Wurzburg - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2019

A couple of days in Wurzburg

We visited Wurzburg a number of years ago  and camped at the Kanu Club while cycling the Main Radweg enroute to  Czech Republic. We enjoyed Wurzburg then, but we realized that since we have the opportunity, we would like to explore a bit more and discover its essence.  As well as that, we need to stay in one place for a few days and  let Mary Ellen rest and hopefully recuperate a bit more.

We like the Ibis here. It has a wonderful location directly on the Main River with a lovely view. We are close to everything, Seavo has a secure place to stay, it is air conditioned and we can self cater.  We will stay here for 3 nights. From Wurzburg, the  train connection back to Limburg is uncomplicated. We will take two trains, a train to Frankfurt then an hourly regional train to Limburg, followed by an enjoyable 25 km ride back to the Reitz farm with Cora.  We have made a plan.

The circus is in town. We have a splendid view across the Main River of the goings on from our room, including this Ferris wheel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are so fortunate to enjoy this view as well from our hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An historic crane which was used for off loading cargo from ships on the Main River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wurzburg Castle has an imposing presence overlooking Wurzburg and its surroundings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St.Stephens bridge is a favourite of visitors to the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Depending on the level of the river, River Boats like this one, must remove the railings and furniture from the roof deck in order to get under the bridge in the lock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I’m sure that as a passenger, these locks on the Main River are part of the fun of travelling on a River Boat Cruise. I know that we are always fascinated by the process of getting these huge floating hotels through such a narrow space.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St Stephens Bridge can be so busy, filled with visitors. But, today we are lucky as it is pretty quiet. It is tradition for people to enjoy the evening on the bridge sharing a bottle of local wine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We wanted to share the spectacle of this colourful and artistic historic Gasthof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is worth a closer look....such wonderful details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bakery also caught our eye, tucked away in a discreet corner. The exterior alone makes you want to go inside, not to mention the yummy offerings of the baker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palace in Wurzburg is worth a visit. We have toured it before, and devoted our time to re-exploring the magnificent grounds and gardens. It is good to know that one can tour the gardens for free, and stay as long as you like. We recommend it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This industrious bee was taking advantage of the nectar on the many blooms in the Palace gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
European gardens always have wonderful statues throughout the gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bear with us, we are learning about the macro features on our new Olympus Tough camera...we liked this close up of a flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have spent much time wandering through the grounds of the Palace...such gems to discover.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wurzburg Palace gardens
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this lovely family from China who shared our desire to have a quiet day exploring the gardens. We enjoyed visiting with them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, we have loved the gardens at the Palace in Wurzburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Staying on the Main River, surrounded by vineyards along the river, we feel that it is our responsibility to enjoy a local bottle of wine...and it was very good.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 3,443 km (2,138 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0