A wonderful ride to Chelmno, an off the grid gem - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2019

A wonderful ride to Chelmno, an off the grid gem

We found the best deal of our time in Poland at ORW Julia on the lake in Samo-ciasek. 20€ for a comfortable room and set in a park like setting on the lake. The lakeside camping here would be very enjoyable with good amenities. We are excited to head to Chelmno today, a medieval town with much to see.  Plus, the weather looks good for our ride.

Poor Seavo has been neglected. Too much rain, too many bumpy roads and tired riders not taking care. Barry is giving Seavo some much needed TLC.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we have cycled in Poland, we have seen many wooden figures like this in villages along the way. The extensive property of ORW Julia has many statues representative of the local area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The super loud sounds of the this beautiful toad, correction pond frog (thanks Bill), well camouflaged by the reeds, attracted our attention. Often as we ride along small rivers we are startled by these loud sounds. It is satisfying to finally get to see one.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be a pond frog.

https://a-z-animals.com/animals/pool-frog/
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A dramatic likeness of a woman with her basket carved from wood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We particularly liked this carving...and it is directly in front of our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked staying here at ORW Julia, just south of Koronowo in Samo-ciasek. It is a huge property with many cabins, camping, a large restaurant and area for big events, plus lots of paddle boats and kayaks for going out on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are hooked on watching these very active stork nests. This parent stork was being very vigilant against predators attacking her active chicks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And yes, there are actually 4 chicks in this nest, all vying for her attention and food.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Storks are a special bird with significance in the traditions of rural life here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are waiting at a train crossing and reflected that we have not seen any trains so far that have bicycle cars. On our previous trip to southern Poland, we were able to take a train from Wroclaw (no problem with our tandem) and we saw many trains in that area that accommodated bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is much pride in this Polish born pope and we often see commemorative signs and images of him, like this school named for him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This road is like a raceway, straight and narrow, flanked by flat land as far as the eye can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About to cross the Wistula River on the approach to Chelmno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chelmno, perched on the hill above the flat plains and the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The river is very high and has breached its normal shoreline.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chelmno’s Reynek Square, in the centre of Old Town, is surrounded by interesting buildings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This apartment building on the corner of Reynek Square has charming details.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A tandem waiting by the Lody (ice cream)
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the details on this building
Heart 2 Comment 0
This storefront and apartment retain much charm in spite of, or perhaps because of, its weather worn and aged appearance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The history of the Labour Movement’s fight and Lech Wales are very present and remembered here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went for dinner at this traditional Polish restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Of course, we had freshly pulled pints of a Polish beer, Tyskie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We shared Perogies Russka, and..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweet pancakes with cheese stuffing and chocolate sauce. Delicious meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,834 km (1,139 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0