Greetings from Bagdad - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2019

Greetings from Bagdad

Krostkowo to Samo-ciazek

We had a cold night in our little cabin. The heater didn’t work and the weather was cold and wet all night. Slept in our warmest clothes plus our down jackets. We rejected the idea of showering as the bathroom block was a bit of a walk in the cold rain. Clearly we are getting spoiled by en-suite baths. After saying goodbye to the affectionate black cat we were on our way.

The top sign, Kosciol Agroturystka, was a welcome sight as it pointed us in the right direction for our bed for the night. We are so relieved that they were home as they hadn’t opened for the season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strawberries are in season. The shopkeeper at the Sklep kindly agreed to sell us a small amount for our muesli. Delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Packed up and ready to go. We feel lucky to have stayed here in this setting with such a spectacular panoramic view of the valley below.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Such an affectionate cat, full of character...our companion at the cabin. Wherever we went, he followed us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Behind our cabin was this pretty pond with lots of fish.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a view, as far as the eye can see. Our cabin is the brown one by the pond.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the next village, we stopped at a Sklep for lunch supplies and attracted a lot of attention, smiles, stunned looks and stares. This man literally stood on the corner and watched us, unmoving, for about 20 minutes. We realize that we are truly an oddity in their environment.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This fellow however, broke the barrier and went up to Barry and was very excited to chat. Who, what and where pretty much covers it. But at this point when Barry shared with him our journey, he congratulated,him, laughed, shook his hand and moved on. Then he came over the road, chatted with me and kissed my hand and wished me well. How lucky we are to have these chance encounters.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering a new district. All signs will carry the logo of the stag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today’s ride went through an area of much agricultural land including large dairy farms
Heart 1 Comment 0
We truly are in rural Poland where the pace and lifestyle are much slower....except for the crazy fast Polish car drivers!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Greetings from Bagdad! We stopped for lunch in a bus shelter in the tiny village of Bagdad.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We appreciate the solid three walled bus shelters in Poland. They offer us a chance to sit down and Seavo a chance to get out of the weather if needed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This cake represents a cautionary tale regarding Polish cakes. It sounded good, coffee cake. What we didn’t realize was that it was 90%mocha icing with chunks of sponge toffee, a sliver of cake at the bottom with a layer of jam. It was delicious but crazy sweet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mother stork and her baby. Most nests have had a number of chicks
Heart 2 Comment 0
Who is the cyclist with the top hat?
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,776 km (1,103 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0