A rainy day and no place to stay - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2019

A rainy day and no place to stay

From Gromado Hotel to an Agrotourism Farmstay

Despite the need for a new camera and the stress that goes with that - not a fan of having to replace a new camera while on the road  - Pila has been a great place for us to be.  The hotel Gromada has been wonderful and memorable, the city of Pila offered us an interesting city to explore and the riding was good due to the wide boulevards and sidewalks. There was very little that was touristic about Pila, but the parks, river paths and local culture created a good ambience.

It rained hard through the night and this will continue all day and tonight as well. After enjoying another splendid breakfast, we headed out clad in all of our rain gear. We don’t mind the rain so much as  we dread the predicted return of cold temperatures and a nasty wind. We need to be mindful of where we are today as accommodation is pretty scarce and in the next 100+ km,  most are off the route about 20  km and  not reachable by email or phone, so we will hope for the best and stop when we see a place, rather than riding as far as we’d like.

We like Poland and its people very much, but a tip about the rural region we are in and have been riding through. Most villages are comprised of a few houses, a shrine (rarely a church), occasionally a Sklep (small shop)  and that’s it. Bus stops are our only form of shelter we can find and cafes are not available unless we are in a city. We can see that camping (often wild camping) would be a good idea if The weather was better. 

We will miss the breakfast at Gromado Hotel. We had Polish pancakes stuffed with a sweet cheese and topped with chocolate sauce, eggs, salads, etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met these people at the hotel who worked in the Mining Industry in a Warsaw. We admired their official uniform and enjoyed chatting with them. They had worked with mining colleagues in Calgary and were very familiar with Canada.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Holstein cows curious about us as we rode by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
“Witamy” (welcome) -a new region,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this sign amused us. There was relatively no gradient on this hill, yet there were signs along the way. We think that somebody signposted the wrong place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our favourite refuge-a bus shelter. Lunch by the road in a three walled shelter can be a sweet thing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Skleps are typically tiny and crammed with the necessities. They can pop up anywhere and are well supported by the neighbourhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a wet cold day it is. Even the stork looks fed up with the rain and is not interested in posing for us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This hill was very steep with no warning signs....was this the spot where the signs showing a steep gradient were supposed to go?
Heart 0 Comment 0
How lucky are we? We had read about the possibility of a camping place with cabins in the village of Krostowo. They are not yet open for the season but happened to be home, so we could stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cabin was a relief to find as we knew we co7ldn’r ride much further. We arrived wet and cold. Luckily there was a Sklep nearby and we could get provisions for supper. The bad thing was there was no heat in the cabin and the gaps in the wall brought the cold inside, but we were dry. Like earlier in our trip, we slept in our woollies and down jackets. 

This cutie stayed on our deck and just wanted to be with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,698 km (1,054 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0