Packed and riding out of Pila, but..... - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2019

Packed and riding out of Pila, but.....

Our camera has died

It’s ironic how things go. We have really enjoyed exploring the city of Pila as well as staying at the aging and grand, yet comfortable Gromada Hotel. As we checked out, we both remarked that it would be nice to stay another day, and as it turned out, we would be back.

We have been having problems with our relatively new camera for the past few weeks. Trying to take photos on our way out of Pila, it was difficult to get it to work....the zoom lens wouldn’t retract without help (if it zoomed at all), the metallic sounds were painful and it kept going to a black screen. We realized that we need to send it back for warranty replacement, but that leaves us without a camera. Knowing that we are some days from another city, we decided to get a new camera here Pila has two large electronics stores with good choices.

Well, choice is both good and bad as this led to much research, many cups of coffee and ultimately the realization that we should just stay put in Pila. 

We do love Polish breakfasts -the choices of fresh veg, fruit, wonderful salads and hot entrees suit us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scrambled eggs that are so juicy and delicious, a ratatouille type veggie dish, salad and bread, plus a strong cup of coffee.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenWe have breakfast envy. This does not resemble a French breakfast.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Walking to the breakfast room down this long hallway. This hotel also hosts conferences and events, yet we can’t help but wonder what it was like in its heyday when it was built in the 30’s. Somehow, we can’t imagine that cycle tourists dressed in clothing that has been worn consistently for two months was not the type of customer that stayed here then.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Polish and Gromada flag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gwda River winds through Pila and by our hotel. But have we taken a detour and perhaps ended up on the Mississippi?
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love this old fashioned touch of world clocks at the entrance. Gromada wears its history and traditions well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo is getting pretty spoiled here in Poland with such grand digs for his overnight stays.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we’re finally off - we must be getting older as we are increasingly appreciative of hotels with elevators and automatic doors like this without any steps to carry Seavo or our gear. Or maybe it is Barry’s sore back.... we’ll go,with that!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Advertising covers buildings as a source of revenue for businesses and owners of buildings. We find it interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pila is a city of wide boulevards, expansive parks, fountains, and oversized sidewalks. There is a buzz of energy in this busy area and a sense of community as the core of each street has lines of high rise apartments with businesses at street level, with many playgrounds for kids living here and parks. Everybody knows each other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I had gotten off the bike to find the PTTK (Polish Tourist Bureau) and this young woman working at a Lody shop jumped on. Barry’s surprised look says it all.
Heart 6 Comment 0
And Barry obliged - so that’s what we look like.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A fun moment for her and for us.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesAh, I thought this was my chance to learn the all important "per kugel" price of ice cream in Poland. But at first I could not decipher either the currency or the menu. Would I be right to say the per kugel price is about 75 euro cents?

In studying the picture, I also noticed one other cutie hiding in the window. Is that a spare? Would she like a ride on my e-bike??
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This delightful elderly Polish gentleman was very excited to see our flag and he wanted to talk to us. His opening comment was “Viva Canada!” His excitement in talking to us (in impeccable English) was touching and resulted in my first hand kiss of the trip.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We love connecting with animals as we travel. The sight of this German Shepherd watching the world go by from his balcony was memorable. He has clearly learned the skill of people watching from his countrymen as this is a most common sight, yet usually of people. He has even mastered the typical lean on the rail.
Heart 6 Comment 0
And then we connected.....what a beauty. This dogs takes it all in stride -no barking, just an interested look, then on to the next sight of interest.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And we’re back! The clerk remembered us and gave us the same room. As you can see it is quite nice and all for 170 zloty including an amazing breakfast (€39)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finally decided on a Canon compact camera with a 40 zoom. It suits our needs as it is small, has a solid metal body and is comfortable for both of us. It is hard to find a compact that works well for Barry’s larger hands.

We have been researching a possible change to our itinerary. There are many considerations including a route that is kind to Seavo and Barry’s sore back. We have read that Latvia’s lack of asphalt on the route makes it more like mountain biking in places. As well, we aren’t sure that we want the remainder of our trip in parts of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia to be long stretches of nature without villages or sights to see.  

We are considering taking the ferry to southern Sweden and riding the Baltic route to Malmo (side trip to Copenhagen), then Helsingborg, followed by the Kattegattleden Route to Gotenberg. This route won the award for best European cycle route in 2018.  Then we can take a ferry to Kiel Germany and make our way back to our friends’ home in Germany. 

The other option is to take a ferry from Malmo.

Sounds good, but we’ll see. We must decide before we get to Gdansk in a few days.

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 1,650 km (1,025 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenBest European Cycle Route in 2018? We know what we would be doing 😜.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat does a camera shop look like in Poland? What model is the camera? How much did it cost?

You must be thinking after taking time to write a whole entry, with great coverage of ratatouille and German shepherds, how can someone still fire more questions? Touring is tough!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago