Wisdom to Darby - Sea to Sea - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2022

Wisdom to Darby

We packed up camp early in Dillon, grabbed a quick breakfast, and drove back to Wisdom where I started my ride.  The first 10 miles were easy rolling through pasture land and fields.  Very little traffic.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I met up with Cheryl briefly at the Big Hole National Battlefield where the excellent displays help tell the story of this tragic event.  I shoved on as the road followed a gentle grade up Trail Creek toward Chief Joseph Pass. The lower section of the road passed through an area that burned just last year.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The final climb to Chief Joseph Pass (7251 feet) and the Continental Divide was steep over the final mile.  Unfortunately there was no sign at the top to commemorate the achievement.  For one mile I rode in Idaho, stopping at the nice rest stop for lunch with Cheryl.

My pictures don’t really give good perspective on the fantastic downhill run on Rte 93 toward Darby, MT.  Crossing the Divide again, the road pitched -6-7% for 7 or 8 miles!  What a ride!  The total descent was about 3500 feet.  This would be a very challenging uphill grind.  

Middle of the 6-7% downhill run
Heart 0 Comment 0

Entering the Bitterroot Valley, Rte 93 followed the East Branch of the Bitterroot River. This area is still recovering from a devastating wildfire in 2000.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Bitterroot Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our stop for the night was the Mountain Spirit Inn in Darby.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 783 miles (1,260 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0