Whitefish to Eureka - Sea to Sea - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2022

Whitefish to Eureka

We had a good night in Eureka in an inexpensive motel - pizza and beer for dinner.  Who could ask for anything more!

Hot, dry weather continues.  Cheryl shuttled me back to Whitefish, but I skipped the first few miles out of town on Rte 93.  The local bike shop advised avoiding it - no shoulder, very windy, and heavy traffic.  I started on the back road part of the route on Twin Bridges Rd.  This passed through open fields in the broad valley before returning to Rte 93 for the remainder of the ride.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on Rte 93, the shoulder was better and the traffic less intense.  The only other biker I passed was Nigel whom I met this morning at the motel.  He had just completed a segment of the Great Divide Trail and was heading to Whitefish to catch a train back to the Puget Sound area.

I made good time while the weather was cool, but after a lunch break at Dickey Lake, it heated up for the rest of the ride.

Many families enjoying Dickey Lake on this hot day!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the road, I pushed through the final miles to Eureka, arriving around 1:30.  After cleaning up, we drove over to Koocanusa Lake, took a hike up to a manned fire tower and then a dip in the lake.  Great day!

The lake from the fire tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking toward Eureka.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 1,062 miles (1,709 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0